1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

oh my god...OH MY GOD!!! (kora content)

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by envika, Oct 4, 2008.

1. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY

Toumani Diabaté [edit: it's actually Mamadou Diabaté] on the kora, a sort of African harp. It's insane, the degree of virtuosity he shows on that thing, not to mention the gorgeous sound coming out of it! I want one!

The bassist is Noah Jarrett, son of Keith. He plays appropriately for the context--simply, tastefully, with good tone and intonation...but just listen to that kora player!

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I agree, the kora is a beautiful instrument! The musician in your link is Mamadou Diabaté, Toumani's younger cousin. Here is a clip of Toumani Diabaté rocking out:

3. frichter

frichter

Mar 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    He is also a part of Ben Allison's group Peace Pipe.
    Great writing and playing.

4. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Toumani did a record or two with Danny Thompson on bass some time ago. You might like to search that out.

As much as I love my double bass, and would like to play with a Kora player, I think that acoustic Kora sounds best played in the traditional way,with a Calabash player.

Of course, going electric is a whole 'nother mater!

I enjoyed Alhaji Bai Konte (Kora) very much some years ago. Rounder records put out a nice LP of him recorded live.

Griot Society.....that's a whole subject to study/understand.

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I have the album with Taj Mahal. High rec'd. It's just.... wonderfully different.

6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Another personal favorite from Mali is Basekou Kouyate and his group Ngoni Ba. The ngoni sounds sort of like a fretless banjo, wonderfully groovy and bluesy music. Great Malian music is really inspiring.

7. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Ali Farke Toure'.........the album with Ry Cooder even has John Pattatucci (sp?) on bass. Beautiful music.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Wow. That's crazy. EVH eat your heart out!