Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Sep 22, 2003.

1. :D ...now that I have grasped your attention... :D

Can anybody direct me to an Mp3 or .WAV or any waveform --> MIDI program? I have these songs on my computer that I want to learn, but the bass is barely audible in certain parts so transcribing it myself is out of the question.

If I can get them into MIDI file I can import them into Powertab.

Thanks. :bassist:
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah...there is no way to presto chango convert .mp3(or aif, wav AAC..etc.) into midi.

I have heard of one program that does it, but it's very buggy, and would likely be very flawed, it might also be mac only(I forget)

HOWEVER, that said, there are hundreds of thousands of bedroom musicians that spend all day tabbing things out with powertab and such programs.

so if you search you should likely find what you are looking for, song-wise, not program-wise.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    All the progs that claim they can do that are total crap.

It can't be done with complex audio material.

Transcribe. It's good for you!
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - the more you do it, the easier it becomes!
    The longer you put off starting, the harder it will be for you!
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Anything that is so buried in the mix that you can't properly hear it is going to be impossible for any computer program to pick it out. There are some programs that, apparently, cope quite well with simple, monotone melodies but by and large you'll end up with a mess. It might sound okay if you could play it exactly as written but there'll be enough dotted hemi-demi-semiquavers to throw all but the most ardent readers off ;)

My recommendation is Transcribe! - you have to do the listening and writing down, but it helps by allowing you to adjust speed and pitch and loop round a short section until you nail it.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Didn't he say he can't transcribe it because he can't hear the bass parts?
  8. Ever heard the story of the boy who cried "wolf"?

Anyhoo... I've never come across an audio to MID format converter. These are 2 completely different formats! What you might try doing is cranking up the bass frequencies on your mp3-player equalizer )MusicMatch & Winamp have equalizers). Good luck!
  9. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    And we're saying that if he can't figure it out, then a computer hasn't got a hope. At least Garret has the option of applying a bit of creative licence - if the bass part is so low in the mix, it's not going to be that important so he can just play something that doesn't get in the way and fits with the rest of the song.

Computers can help with transcribing (eg. the link I gave above) but they can't do the work for you... and even if they could, you'd still have to learn it afterwards, while, having transcribed a song, you already know it inside out!

10. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm not aware of any such program, Garrett. Making one would be a monster task. An MP3 or WAV is an audio file, it's storing a digital representation of sound waves. A MIDI file is storing information representing notes.

The best tool for converting between those two very different representations is your ear/brain ;)

Like everyone's already said, transcribe it. That way, you might actually learn something ;) There's no easy way out, Garrett, you get out what you put in - put in the time to learn it by ear, and you'll get far more out of it, believe me.
  11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I figured he just wanted to get it exactly as it was written but couldn't hear it...

Anyone can make up a bass part to a song, whether it's good or not is another thing. I was just saying, how can you transcribe something you can't hear? Sure he can make up a chord chart and then write a bass line accordingly or something along those lines, but it wouldn't be what he originally wanted...that was what I was trying to get at. In fact it seems, this thread was best answered with the first reply because it answered his question...
  12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Since no one else seems to have picked up on my post, let me elaboarate.

IMO the thread title is a very poor, and tasteless way to get attention to a post, and I though was more or less against the rules, or at least goes out of bounds with the "common courtesy" posting. I'm surprised the mods haven't jumped in to say something, and change the title for you....maybe I am off base here, but that kind of thing is borderline trolling IMO, thus the reason I didn't post an informative reply.

For the record, what song are you talking about? I'd like to know what song is so hard to figure out. Personally, I think you are best to do some ear training, verses relying on tabs as a crutch, or do it the proper way, and do a search for sightreading.
  13. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Assuming that it wasn't just a really poor recording, the bass part can't have been too important to whoever produced the song if it was quiet enough to get buried.

My rule of thumb is that if the bass is hard to pick out on the recording it either means the chance for a rest or that I need to play something that supports what the other instruments are doing. If I've transcribed the rest of the song, that often gives enough information to fill in the gaps. I can't think of any practical situation where that isn't sufficient to answer the reason for the original question.

Out of interest, what is the mystery song (not just the title but artist and album too) and what section is hard to hear?