Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Feb 16, 2004.

1. So I show up to the music store today for my first lesson. I discussed with the instructor on the phone that I was more interested in learning music theory rather than how to play a bass guitar, so he told me to bring my guitar. He said it's easier to learn theory on guitar (chords, etc.) then just transfer it on to bass, which I agree with.

So I go into the back of the store for lessons, and when I enter the room...it's this local guitar guy I saw on tv! So right off the bat I knew I could trust this guy knows what he's doing. So I sit down and he was looking over my P.O.S. I mean guitar, and asked what kind of music I was into.

I said Metallica, Slayer, metal in general, then blues and classical. Then -- get this -- he goes:

"You know, Kirk Hammet comes in here now and then."

"Kirk Hammet, he comes in here now and then."

"Oh yea"

"Wow..." (at which point I **** a brick)

KIRK HAMMET GOES TO ONE OF THE SAME MUSIC STORES I GO TO!! OMG!!! If I could just..shake his hand..omg..lol I'm all giddy like a school girl now..wow...

Anyway, my teacher said he married some girl from Waimanalo (local place, I live in hawaii on oahu).

I'm still in shock about the whole thing =P
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I thought it was amazing when i saw kirky poo on stage, from about 50 metres away, but to have him shake your hand, IN a music store, where both of you are in your element. wow, what a rush. Shake his hand for me man!
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just don't seem like a giddy schoolgirl. It can bother some celeb. Just be cool. If you meet him, tell him you like his stuff, you've been a fan for a while, and you're honored to meet him. Just don't wet yourself. It wouldn't be good for either of you.
  4. Yeah I'll be like..."holy **** man whatsup...im a huge fan." then I'll either:

a) faint
    b) go into cardiac arrest

At which point he'll laugh at me and walk away. :D

But man..in terms of lead guitarists and soloing..he's my only real influence. The remote possibility of me jamming with him is enough to make me practice until my fingers fall off.
  5. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Further to that, on the Cunning Stunts DVD documentary, Kirk states that he hates being touched by fans (when playing in concert) and if you watch when he is down playing at "crowd" level, the security guards keep people from touching him. Maybe he is a bit anal about cleanliness, however he might not be so comfortable about people getting into his personal space so it may be worth being very respectful if you meet him there.

6. Yeah I'm not gonna run up to him and touch him lol. But yeah I noticed that on the Cunning Stunts when they play One (downloaded off kazaa) he has a security guard follow him around. That would explain the touching thing.

I can understand celebs hateing it when people get all starstruck though...I'd be the same way.
  7. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    He's my god to, quite being so selfish.
  8. Well you're in CA, that's only..5 hours plane flight. Come on down. You can sleep in my attic, after all, us bassists have to look out for one another. :D
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Big deal.....His money has the same value as yours.....He breathes air like you do......His heart beats like yours......Relax already....

Make sure you let Kirk know you are downloading his music from KaZaa. He will be thrilled to know about that. He may even invite you over for dinner.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Then tell him his technique is sloppy, and offer to give him some pointers. He will appreciate that. :D
  11. odie

odie Supporting Member

I second that!!!
  12. odie

odie Supporting Member

music related!!
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ....when he walks in you could have a little fun with him, walk over to a snare ...WHAM...WHAM...WHAM...WHAM.... Have a few friends pick up some instruments and play unplugged along with you as you warble out of key..."saint anger...blah blah blah....". ;)
  14. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

...I'd be impressed with meeting Kirk Hamet - I'd be like: "Wow, it's the guy from the Primus video... you know Les Claypool personally, don't you? ...and you actually knew Cliff Burton. Tell me about Cliff..."
  15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Oh yeah? I work in a music store where my boss's wife's mom (his mother in law) is dating Les Claypool's dad. Eat that!

I'm serious. Really.
  16. KidNamedFord

Aug 17, 2003
    i will see kirk on the 29th of april... metallica in grand rapids
  17. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    I'm not sure if I'd want to be near Kirk. Metal people creep me out.
  18. Nah he's so nice he tends to come off as a bit feminine. That's why we joke about his sexuality over at the Metallica forums :D

He's a cool guy tho :bassist:
  19. Ask if he's downloaded any good music lately