Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OH-MY-GOD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blazer, May 7, 2005.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    A few years ago an idiot cousin of mine decided that he had enough of his life and jumped off the roof of the seven story appartment building he lived. But he did leave me something of which I'm very happy.

When cleaning up his appartment I came a across acupboard filled with Audio cassette tapes, more than 800 of them seizing the opportunity, I arranged it that the tapes became mine so I had a HUGE catalogue of cool music.

Today I was once again going through those tapes and stumbled apon "Selling England by the Pound" from Genesis.

HOLY SHNIKEY! That album rocks! Mike Rutherford is the man. That Rickenbacker Clank sounds so heavenly and his playing gave me goosebumps.

I need to explore that tape collection to see if I can find more of Genesis.

2. the way you said that made me think he lived after jumping off the building...

3. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Selling England by the Pound was great. You might also check out the first "Genesis Live" album with "Get 'em out by Friday", "Watcher of the skies", etc. Great record. My other fave from this period was "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway." All great stuff.

4. yea i thought that at first too

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    the "He lived" makes things a bit confusing. Yeah, people have to get over the stereotype of later Genesis and it's "Disney appeal," Early Genesis is awesome. Even some of the Phil Collins stuff.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Until 'In The Air Tonight' became popular & overplayed a few years after it's release, Phil's first album 'Face Value' was great! He used Alphonso Johnson and the Earth Wind & Fire horns...great playing on that album!

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I still dig "In the Air" when the bass/drums come in... THAT is what I call locking in.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    this is one of the oddest posts I've ever read here.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was thinking the same thing.

10. ummm, how do you "arrange" for a dead person's things to become yours?? (creepy....) :eek: