Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OH...MY....GOD

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Killdar, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    ARRGH!! I must be cursed! :mad:

I broke ANOTHER string....on practically new strings too :mad:

ok, heres the deal, the G that was on at the time of purchase broke at the saddle, unsure of brand, but it must have been .045 or .050.

The next set I put on were D'addario XLs, the G being .040. This also broke at the saddle. I believe because I popped it a bit too hard for such small strings.

The latest set is a set of Fender nickel plated steels, the G being .050, and broke instead at the tuning peg, where the string bends around the edge of the post. I had detuned a minute before, and was retuning at the time of breakage. I fixed the string by moving it to a closer post, and moving the D to the G post. It is working so far.

I don't remember exactly the date at which I bought the strings, but they just seem to have extremely short lifespans, about a month or a little over. I play really hard, but I know many others beat the strings as hard as me, and they have never had this problem. I have filed down the saddle a bit, but I don't know if that would help.

I need to know what is wrong. Is it the strings? Should I not play as hard? is something wrong with the bass itself? I really need to get this fixed.

2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    i think you're putting the strings on just wee bit too tight. look at your neck its probably bowing. do a search and find a thread on stringing your bass, get some good strings of your choice and follow the instructions. i've been there too, i was always breaking the strings on my old fiver. you might also want to try stretching the strings a little before you put them on also.

3. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I just adjusted the neck so it plays perfectly...it is not bowing, and the action is low as I can get it without buzz.....The neck stringless is almost bent backwards since heavy strings need that much more tension....I don't think it is the neck....it seems perfectly normal.....and I have read stuff about string changing....I do it correctly.

oh....and I meant to say the latest break is right where the string starts to wrap around the peg...not where it bends around the edge of the peg slot, so in other words the end where it snapped just barely reaches the peg.

4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If i read your post correctly, it seems that the strings break where they come in contact with the tuning peg and/or the saddle. Check if you have any sharp points at those places, and file them out with a small file. It doesn't really have to be that sharp for these kinds of things to happen.

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    well, actually no, it was before it started wrapping around the peg, not even touching it. that is why I had to move it to the next peg closer, since it didn't even reach the original one, since it broke where it did. I really have no idea how it could break there.....it makes no sense at all....

6. Nato

Nato

Jun 2, 2002
    Man that would really sucks breaking strings like that. The only thing i can say is just go over the saddle with some fine grade sand paper and the same goes for just about any where that the string comes into contact with. Oh and make sure you windings at the tunner are going down and not overlaping but winding from the top down. Oh and i have found that my strings last quite a bit longer if i put them on tune them and just let them sit for a whole day with out playing them so that they can streach. Hope that helps you out some.

7. It's possible it broke at the post while "stretched out". After breaking, the tension is released, making the break appear like it happened before the post. This is just a possibility.

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    well this may well be the case, but it is still a really weird occurance.

and i did go over the saddle with a fine file, but the wrappings just dug in again.

to think some people just have strings for so long, while I break them like that. I really must be doing something horribly wrong, since strings arent supposed to be so fragile as to be broken like that.

9. Are you buying old strings from the "bargain bin" at Guitar Center?;)

10. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    nope. would be a whole lot simpler if that was the case :meh:

[edit] oh ya, and the nearest GC to where I live is bout 80 something miles away in Danvers MA. :spit:

11. I would suggest taking the axe in for a professional tune up and string replacement. this way if the string breakes, you will have a) started a relationship with the tech, and b)he will be in a better position to determine why the breakage.
    I would guess that there is too much tension in the G string (but that is an obvious statement to make).

Good luck.
    :meh: :meh: