1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Oh. My. God!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by millsbass5, Aug 17, 2012.

1. What in God's name does Paul Reed Smith do that's any different to make the grain POP on his instruments? Man, this thing is amazing!!!
    I believe this is the first bass that I've looked at, and actually cringed from seeing some buckle rash. Now, I realize why guitarists go crazy over PRS Guitars. This bass is absolutely stunning. But, with an MRSP hovering around $12k (IIRC), it should be.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-PRS-Pr...pt=Guitar&hash=item2a21a6c70b#ht_50846wt_1397

2. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    they start with good wood, stain it black, sand it down so the black stain is just in the most porous grain, and from there you finish it like any other instrument.

3. I pretty much knew they go with a black stain first. It just seems there's a little "something extra" they do as opposed to other builders.

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

5. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Warmoth makes bodies that looks that good.

6. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Best part of the ad

It would be nice if he gave some real specs like scale length, string spacing, nut width instead of a page full of BS and hype.

Nice photos of a pretty bass though.

7. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    $(KGrHqN,!nkF!G4j3m!bBQLCt0KJd!~~60_57.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Beautiful. Dammm.

Looks like it took a fall, though and landed right on the bottom strap button.

9. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    " the tremolo was calibrated..."

What tremolo?

10. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    ...also photograph the bass in direct sunlight for the most contrast.

BTW if you want to look at some wicked quilt finishes, far superior to this IMHO have a look at Jens Ritter's work!

11. IMO it looses the majority of the visual qualiites of wood when you "over finish" them to that extent.

12. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    jeeze , this is a tough room ....

13. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think it looks awesome. He also shot it in great lighting with a great camera. Some people are able to make flame and quilt look"deeper" than others, I have no idea how though!

</uselesspost>

14. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Nice, but as been mentioned, the pic was taken in full, direct sunlight. It won't look the same in normal lighting situations.

15. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    the something extra is good wood

16. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Stunning color

17. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I LOVE their guitars, they are beautiful, play well, and are super beautiful. I bet this plays like butter, but that 'pickguard' thing needs to go. Can only guess at how good looking this might be without it.

18. I'll see your PRS Quilt and raise you...:

[​IMG]

If this doesn't make you wanna go for a swim, nothing will :D

19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Step 1: buy an entire forest of maple and saw and sand into bookmatched body blanks.

Step 2: inspect the grain patterns and build 2 or 3 guitars/basses from the best tops available.

Step 3: Sell truckloads of remaining tops to other guitar companies for profit

Step 4: Wash, rinse, repeat.

20. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Lol, but so true. I also think they overdo the finishes a little though. Makes em look a bit artificial.