1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Oh my .. those poor parents..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Teens kill baby ... This is so heartbreaking.. My God.. What kind of kids do this sort of thing..? I was talking to someone who said it was because of video games and violence in the media.. I say NONSENSE.. this is just lack of home training ... If this is the right person.. he should never see the light of day as a free man again. If the 14 year old did it.. he should be tried as an adult and get the same.

2. paste

paste

Oct 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Honestly, as horrible as this is, can't understand why people feel compelled to share stories like this. Seriously, what is the point of this? (not a rhetoric question)

3. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Man. That's all I can say.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Next time someone says that you should remind them that the Holocaust happened before the invention of video games (not to hit on Nazis as early as the third or fourth post, but... :p).

I honestly kind of agree.

5. Topspin

Topspin What's my name again?

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I played Tom Sawyer with a pick once. Shame on me.
    If anyone is deserving of the death penalty, it's these two.

6. I think young kids are just exposed to too much graphic violence these days. That wasn't the case when I grew up. I don't blame video games, movies, music, or anything else; just parents who are too lazy to supervise their kids (I'm talking about young kids, not teenagers). There's been so many studies done now, and it's generally accepted in the scientific community: children who are constantly exposed to violence of any sort before they're ten, are 20 times more likely to end being violent themselves. Even without the studies, that just seems like common sense to me.

7. There is a raging debate regarding this over in our neck of the woods for the past few months. A girl was gangraped - with heinousness a human can barely comprehend. She later died of the injuries she sustained. I found myself literally feeling dizzy when I read an article describing the incident - it was that shocking.

The most brutal of the attackers was a few weeks short of his 18th birthday when he did this and will, in all probability, spend a maximum of 3 yrs in juvie. No 'trial as an adult' after he turns 18 - as happens in some states in the US, AFAIK.

I know my argument is probably thin, but there should be some sort of judicial discretion in cases where juveniles commit acts which cannot be excused on the basis of their age alone. I'm not vengeful at all - my PoV is that the judicial system should prevent people who are beyond repair and a threat to those around them from getting back into the society. With stories such as these, I wonder if these juveniles actually fall within the categories of 'repairable' criminals. If not, I can't see why they shouldn't be, at least, incarcerated for life.

8. They both deserve the death penalty. No question, no second chance. Our society is so messed up it's not even funny. The sooner we eradicate scum like these two, the better off we'll all be.

My heart goes out to that poor infant, the mother and family.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The owner of the gun should go to prison.

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    No, you were correct. No one can talk about how bad things are today, without being reminded of the 30's and 40's.

Fifty Five million people, many of them civilians, including women and children, being burned, bombed, shot, starved and frozen to death is pretty bad.

11. I don't think your argument is "thin" at all. Judges should have some discretion in those sorts of crimes, especially when it's a 17 year old. I suppose it's a bit murkier with younger kids, but anyone capable of doing that - I wouldn't want them back out on the streets, ever. Perhaps there should be the option to review their sentence when they become adults (such is the case here in certain circumstances). Some crimes are simply unforgivable, and age doesn't make them any less so.

12. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    If you have to ask then ..........

That is debatable.. and a very valid debate.. I wonder how much that would deter some things.. I wonder of the gun was legal top begin with..

13. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    That's ******-up.

14. Indeed.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, we have such a good time here at TB, sometimes it's necessary to bring us back to reality.

NOT! I've asked the same question several times.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It may or may not deter others, but it will deter that individual. Seems to me most of the major slaughters that have been committed against children and others were done with "legal" guns.

17. based on what convoluted logic is this?....maybe it was stolen....maybe it belongs to one of the boy's father's and he took it without permission...don't know and don't care, but the fault lies with the young thugs and nowhere else....

unless you have info that whoever owned it loaned it to them knowing they were going to commit a crime. do you?

davesignatureII-1.

ps- edit...actually, i may have spoken too soon, if the parent or legal guardian was the actual owner of the firearm in question...see the following:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-101.1
    Furnishing pistol or revolver to person under the age of 18 years

(a) For the purposes of this Code section, the term:

(1) "Minor" means any person under the age of 18 years.

(2) "Pistol or revolver" means a handgun as defined in subsection (a) of Code Section 16-11-125.1.

(b) It shall be unlawful for a person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly to sell or furnish a pistol or revolver to a minor, except that it shall be lawful for a parent or legal guardian to permit possession of a pistol or revolver by a minor for the purposes specified in subsection (c) of Code Section 16-11-132 unless otherwise expressly limited by subsection (c) of this Code section.

(c)(1) It shall be unlawful for a parent or legal guardian to permit possession of a pistol or revolver by a minor if the parent or legal guardian knows of a minor's conduct which violates the provisions of Code Section 16-11-132 and fails to make reasonable efforts to prevent any such violation of Code Section 16-11-132.

do you have knowledge that the parent or legal guardian of the one who possessed the gun intentionally, knowingly or recklessly sold, furnished, or permitted possession by the kid?

18. can't possibly be the case here, because it is illegal to sell a gun to a minor in every state. it is also illegal for a minor to be in possession of a handgun in the state of Georgia, subject to certain exceptions, which this is NOT one....so the gun used here was, by definition, ILLEGAL.

see below:

Possession of handguns by minors; Minors (persons under the age of 18) are NOT allowed by Georgia law to possess handguns unless the following exceptions apply:

Attending a hunter education course or a firearms safety course.
    Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting
    Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group
    Hunting or fishing pursuant to a valid license if such person has in his or her possession such a valid hunting or fishing license if required; is engaged in legal hunting or fishing; has permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted; and the pistol or revolver, whenever loaded, is carried only in an open and fully exposed manner (no concealing of the firearm)
    Traveling to or from any activity described above, provided that firearm is carried in a unconcealed and unloaded fashion.
    Any minor who is on real property under the control of such person's parent, legal guardian, or grandparent and who has the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    Any minor who is at such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses a pistol or revolver for the purpose of exercising the rights authorized in Code Section 16-3-21 or 16-3-23. (self defense laws)
    The exceptions DO NOT apply to any minor who has been convicted of a forcible felony or forcible misdemeanor, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, or who has been adjudicated delinquent under the provisions of Article 1 of Chapter 11 of Title 15 for an offense which would constitute a forcible felony or forcible misdemeanor, as defined in Code Section 16-1-3, if such person were an adult.(16-11-132) (It appears as if GA law, even though prohibits minors from possessing handguns except as provided above, does not prohibit minors from possessing rifles and shotguns, unless they have been convicted of a felony or forcible misdemeanor. Under GA law, children under the age of 13 cannot be considered or found guilty of any crime. 16-3-1)

davesignatureII-1.

19. It's stories like this that make me wish I had my own bunker.

20. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    I'm genuinely confused by your post. Are you suggesting that if this weren't shared and discussed, that it would go away? I think people share it in places like this because it enrages them and they want to discuss solutions to these incidents with their peers.