Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh, my...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Sep 5, 2004.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been in casual discussion with Bill Wilkat about building a new custom Steinberger-style headless bass for a few years now. The only thing holding me up has been finding a "donor" XM or XQ for the neck and bridge.

I just ran across this, which caters to two of my fetishes at one time:

[​IMG]

Hoot! Kenny wants!

Wilcat Guitars

2. Sweet! I've got a thing for the Rick shape, too--me like!

Mike

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

:eek: headless balance, sexy like a rick, nasty like a Ray.... I think I could fall in love :cool:

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

You know...a Ric headless would pretty sweet lookin' with their classic finishes.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

+1 for the sexy body shape, and another +1 for the single bucker! I don't have enough experience with headless basses to increment for that. :p

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Whooo, I dig it!

I don't think Rickenbacker's lawyers would take too kindly to it though. :ninja:

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You know, I still have a jones to build a swamp ash Gecko with a wenge/wenge neck. I wonder if there's a way to combine these two ideas? One of these Wilkats with a swamp ash body and a *headless* wenge neck?

I bet it would be killer! I'm gonna have to ask Bill about this... I don't know if he does necks, but I'd think there'd be a way to do it using a decapitated Warmoth neck. Hmmm...

9. Thats the nicest shape for a body i ever seen ;)

10. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Ed Roman at edromanguitars.com sells headless necks as does Moses graphite I believe. I love headless basses!

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Did you see the singlecut headless bass that someone was selling on eBay a couple of weeks ago? It looked pretty durn cool, and the guy had converted a Warmoth wenge neck into a headless.

EDIT: here it is:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3746047649&rd=1
    You could also go with a Moses neck.

I've got a Hohner Steinberger copy that I plan to use for the bridge when I eventually make a headless bass with a moses neck.

12. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Jaymi wants 2!!!!!

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Just got back from Atlanta.

Bill Wilcat replied that a Wenge neck would be expensive for him to do and could have complications due to stability issues, so if I'm going to do this, it'll be using a Moses neck.

I've harrassed the poor guy so much over the last two years, I'm going to collect the rest of the parts first before I bug him again!

Edited to more fully reflect Bill's comments

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Did he say why it would be so difficult for him? That's a great body, & wish more folks would offer such a thing.

How does the neck mount, is it a Bolt On?

15. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    If John Hall sees it, it will be an interesting discussion.

16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    He's not copying the "crested wave" headstock or any of the body cosmetics. The overall shape has been changed enough to not be a copy. It's inspired by a Ric, not a knockoff.

Re: wenge - Bill said it'd be expensive, plus that available headless hardware doesn't work well on wood necks in his opinion. It can be done, but...

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, I guess my question is, what's more of a priority to YOU... Having a wenge neck, regardless of headstock OR having a headless neck, that happens to be made out of whatever.

If it were my decision, I'd choose the wenge over the headless aspect. But, that's just me...

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  19. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Huh? Sei have no trouble using headless gear for wenge necks. Even if you use a Steinie (or clone) bridge, you could get an ABM or Status headpiece, both of which are sold seperately.

I'm a big headless bass fan, and my current project is to use a wenge neck, fiddleback walnut facings*, ABM single tuners and a custom headpiece.

Bill's work looks excellent, but I don't like the Rickish shape much....

* body core is undecided, but will be walnut, northern ash or something else. Opinions?