1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OH NO! A c*llist in the Bassists' forum! (Mark Sumner)

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Danny Adair, Jan 23, 2002.

1. OK, ok .... so he's not actually a bassist. However, this guy can lay down some seriously good lines, IMHO. I was recently reintroduced to his work on Turtle Island String Quartet's incredible eponymous first disc, and I couldn't believe how good a bassist this 'cellist can be!

Some personal TISQ highlights:
    *Debut album - Stolen Moments, Night in Tunisia, Tempus Fugit (WOW!), Milestones - all amazing
    *Skyline - it's just good.
    *Spider Dreams - Edgar Meyer sitting in for some wicked new works - very, very cool.

Anybody else heard of this fellow? Questions, comments, snide remarks?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Turtle Island String Quartet were a bunch of great players. But I don't think they've recorded anything for a while. What happened to them?

3. I don't know what their status is. For a while, it seemed that they had a revolving door on two of the seats in that group (I think vio**n 2 and viola), so perhaps Mark and David (the more permanent members) are a challenge to deal with or simply like to rotate players.

Either way, their existing body of work is plenty impressive, IMHO.

4. cadillac

cadillac

Dec 18, 2001
    St. Louis
    I went to the Illinois, All-State festival last weekend, and they held a concert one of the nights. However, I didn't get a chance to check them out. I just thought I'd let you know thry're still playing.