oh no! another ibanez post!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RETSAMPALS, Dec 17, 2000.

Sep 10, 2000
    i may get another guitar or bass soon and my candidates for guitar are strat or SG and the bass one is Soundgear 5-string....

yes i know...the pickups have got to go...i've tried them and i've cringed at the deadness. and the electronics are a joke at least on the SR405

but ibanez is the only 5string where i live that fits my hands. so do you have any suggestions for replacement pickups?

oh btw i want to put in soapbars with a P/J configuration...does EMG make those w/out the equalizers?
  2. does this place hate ibanez just as much as the people at korn.com? (i'm new here)
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    RET: "soapbars" are humbuckers with a rectangular shape; PJ refers to a combination of a split precision humbucker and a single-coil jazz pickup. EMG makes all kinds of active pickups (Ps, Js and soapbars) with or without active circuits, but if you want to install soapbars, you will have to expand the existing P/J routs.

Does anyone else besides me hate the new Ibanez site? Did good web design dry up with all the VC money?
  4. Departing on runway #3...This post to the "PICKUPS" forum
  5. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Probably not as much, the people here don't call you "fag" for having an ibanez bass :)

Sep 10, 2000
    no i meant they had soapbar sized pickups with a P/J configuration inside.....
  7. BazzMonkey

Aug 25, 2000
    Well I admit they are pretty horrible (The ones nowadays). But 2 months ago I sold my fretless jazz bass for 250$ and bought a 5 string Ibanez CT series for $250, and it plays EXCELLENT (maybe because the guy that had it before customized the frets). But I totally love it...the strings sound perfectly balanced and everything, and sounds nice with the active jazz EMGs, and the 2 vol/ 2 eq, I can get a serious punchy sound or a smooth mellow tone.

Either way, not ALL of their basses are bad, but I must admit alot of them are, and why did they have to cancel the CT series!?!?! it was such a nice model, EXTREMELY light too (These were last made in somewhat early 90's.

(Later on I may replace the EMGs with Seymour Duncan active 5 strings/electronics, just to see how much more better it would sound, and then probably sell the EMGs/electronics for 50$).

8. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000

yes, EMG makes soapbar pickups with P/J configuration.
    They are EMG40P and EMG40J

Sep 10, 2000
  11. (Harumph) yes, well, as the moderator of this forum, I will not allow ANY Ibanez bashing, seeing as I have not three of them and I find them superior to every other bass in the area.(I have the Ergodyne EDC705, a GSR205, and an SR400) If you want to talk about basses, move it over to the basses forum. That's what its there for.

Sorry if this come across as being mean or malicious, or even Kung Fuqua-ish, but I don't like people bad mouthing my basses. They feel sad afterwards, and then I have to comfort them for about three hours, and that hurts my fingers.

Rock on
  12. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    You can get a pj soapbar set up from emg. http://www.emg.com The emg 40 soapbars should drop right in with no problem. Also if you want a new preamp too, the carvin preamp has the same number of control pots as the 405, should fit in the bass ok, and costs half as much as the emg preamp. Go check out http://www.seymourduncan.com and see what they have. The duncans have a more aggressive sound than the emg's. Have you looked at the sr 885? http://www.ibanez.com/sr5bass.html (it's 1999 website, the 2000 site sucks doesn't have half the info the 99 site does) The 885 has a 35" scale neck with graphite reinforcment rods in it that keep b string punchy and tight and it has the same profile and feel of the 405. I'm not sure about the scale of the 405, but it has the same neck as my 305 and it's b string is pretty lame, and electronics are even worse(I love the feel of the bass though). If you're looking at buying a 5 string and the b string sucks, no pickup or electronic swapping will help. Also the 885 has a different preamp than the 405 that has 3 a band eq with a variable midrange and active pickups (The 405 has passive). On the whole ibanez sucks thing, they're not all that bad.(they're new web site does suck though) I bought mine with out doing any research or trying any other basses.(I just knew that some of my favorite bass players played them so they must be good.) I can manage to a good tone out it with a set of wet blue steels and my ampeg. Also for anyone who thinks ibanez sucks go look at the btb's. The 885 sells new out of musicians friend http://www.musiciansfriend.com for $709 new, but you can usally find used ones on e-bay, or go check out http://www.ugbm.com hit the "view catalog" button and see what they have.

[Edited by AssMan on 12-28-2000 at 05:03 AM]