Oh no...I tried to instal a Hipshot "A" bridge and...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ostinato, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    ...everything turned out just fine. :D

Seriously, though, I just received a new neck from Fender a few days ago for my bass. It was great but, do to the fact that they sent a very chunky '75RI neck, and due to the fact that my bass appears to be made of cork, the dive was just friggin' ridiculous. So I decided to spend last night installing a Hipshot bridge. It not only cured the neck dive (it weighs 9 oz.) my axe looks and sounds magnificat!

Next project: Installing the CS 60's pickups!

Attached Files:

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    How hard/easy was it to install? A relatively retrofit for the Fender bridge?
  3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    It took me all night long basically. I basically put masking tape under the bridge and traced around it, then did my best impersonation of a guitar tech. ;)

There was a huge ridiculous rectangular rout for the ground wire, right smack dab in the middle under the bridge which prevented me from putting it where I thought it should be. So just for clearance considerations, the holes for mine had to be probably 3/16" closer towards the neck pickup than the stock ones. I would've liked it to be 5/16ths. That may not seem like much but when you're talking about saddle movement that's 1/8".

Tools I used were:

centre punch (centre drill would be much better)
    6" steel rule (measuring in 64ths)
    7/64" HHS drill bit
    hand drill
    masking tape
    tech pencil

God...I'm sounding like a shop geek. :p
  4. i would like to install a new bass bridge like that, but i would be no way confident drilling new holes. are there any decent bridges out there, that just go where the orginal fender bridge goes??
  5. cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Sure, the Leo Quan Badass II bridge is usually a direct fit for P's and J's. It's been around for a long time and is a well-loved piece of hardware, though not everyone sees a need for a massive bridge. Search the forums for opinions pro and con. Btw, a pre-notched version now seems to be available, which would make it even easier to install.
  6. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON

You're a braver person than I am. It looks like you did a really good job on the work. I think that bridge really looks serious compared to some of the other options available that you see on some high end offerings.
  7. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    The Schaller 2000 series bridge is also a very nice bridge that drops onto the standard Fender 5 screw mount with no alterations. Info is on the Schaller web page, and the bridge can be found from AllParts . . .

- Tim
  8. ooo pre notched, that would be perfect, i was scared of messing that part up, which made me shy away from bad ass bridges. but now, its all go go go! as soon as i get some money heheh. the schaller 2000 series looks very nice, im glad i have these options avaliable now. thank you guys :bassist: