Oh no, it's happening again!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, Jan 16, 2004.

1. For the third time, I have a Slowound g-string that unwinds over time. This one has hold pitch for two days, and then today while bending the string it lost pitch. Every time I try to tune it, the tuner post just rotates inside the windings. The string is properly installed, it has 3 windings on the post, and I even crimped it before cutting it. The tuner post looks fine, and the screw is tightened, so it's not the post unwinding. I've never tried this with any other strings, and I've tried a lot!

Please help me - has someone had similair experiences, or any solutions?

2. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    ?:meh: sounds odd, i think you have some problem with your bridge maybe...
    can you give some more details ?
  3. I'm pretty sure it's not the bridge. When I try to tune up, I can see the tuner post go round while the windings stand still. The result is that the end of the string, which is set into the hole in the tuner post, is slowly coming out. I don't know if it's because the silk on the Slowound strings is slippery, or because the edges of the tuner post is rounded from wear.
    I took the bass to two different shops today, to hear what they thought. They both said that if the string is properly installed (and it was), this shouldn't happen, and it almost certainly didn't have anything to do with the tuner post. One of the guys managed to tune the string to pitch, and it seems to work fine now :)

What bothers me now, is that I don't know when it'll happen again.
  4. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    I like to install the maximum number of wraps that I can get on the post. Try that and your problem will probably disappear.
  5. It actually has 4 full wraps, so I doubt it could be that. Thanks anyway.
  6. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Another thought, Carl, the straight section that fits in the hole of the post: I make it touch the bottom of the hole and put the 90 degree bend about half way up the post. That way, when you wind the string on from the top of the post downward, the straight section will not pull out of the hole. Good luck.
  7. I'm not sure I understand fully what you mean, but do you mean that I should make the windings from the top of the post, and then let each succesive winding go beneath the previous? That's what I do already. - Or do you mean that I somehow should make the windings go back over where the string first comes out of the tuner post slut, and secure the windings in this way? (Hope you follow me ;) )
  8. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
  9. Thanks Gander. Actually that's the procedure I follow :) I thought about the inner wire slipping to, but it's hard to determine. As I mentioned, this has happened with Slowounds before, but not with any other strings. I begin to suspect that it's the silk that's too slippery. The luthier I took it to this afternoon who managed to tune it to pitch, tuned up and down, untill it didn't loose pitch anymore. Seems to work for now, but I'm worried about the next time I put on Slowounds (and I would like to :) ).

10. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Could you post a picture of your tuning machine, maybe if we get a look at it we can diagnose your problem
  11. I don't have a digital camera or a scanner, so I'm affraid not. But I can try to describe it.
    There's very little, but still visible, wear on the edges of the slut, on the side where the string comes out. I thought that could be the problem, but the two luthiers I saw today, said the tuner post was fine. It's a MusicMan bass, so the machineheads would be Schallers. The bass is 4 years old and though I've changed strings many times, I doubt it could be wear.
  12. Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    One last idea Carl: After you get the final 90 degree bend on the string, tin the very end of the straight piece that goes in the post hole. You'll need a soldering iron for this. I would tin the last 1/4" of the string. If you do it right this should lock the inner wire and outer wrapping together and allow no slip. The tinned part sees no tension when you tune, so this should be safe. Please don't get hot solder on your Musicman's finish. Good luck.
  13. Thanks Gander :)
    I might try that the next time I get Slowounds.
  14. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    From reading all of this, it sounds like the string is not sitting in the tuning post slot correctly. Not only do you need the 90 degree bend, but after the end of the string is pushed down into the hole, you need to make sure it is staying in the slot when you turn the tuning key. Although, if you took it to a luthier, he should have noticed if that was the problem. Sometimes, I actually use a screwdriver to push the string into the slot.