Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh no! My Mesa M-2000 stopped working today!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by natrab, Mar 15, 2004.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I had been worried last week at practice when my Mesa took an unusually long time to start working (no sound for about 5 minutes). This time I showed up at practice and I got nothing. It appears to be a problem with the power section as the preamp is still working fine. I still get a signal to the tuner and my direct out still gets signal from the pre-amp. Anyone else every have this problem?

I'm gonna drive on up to Petaluma on friday to have it checked out by Mesa. Hopefully it won't be an expensive repair. This whole thing has got me jumpy and I'm considering selling my Mesa after it's repaired. I'm thinking of getting a Read Purity pre-amp to go with my PLX 3402. I almost think the Mesa is too much for me. I love all the options and I try to use them as much as I can, but lately I've been pretty much just using the tube pre with all my bands. So why not invest in a really nice tube pre?

For now I am hauling the dead Mesa around and just using it as a pre for my QSC (nice little rig weighing in at 80 pounds with my tuner and power conditioner..ugh).

Anyways, someone tell me how great Mesa is again because I'm feeling sad :(

2. same here. My walkabout developed input problems. I contacted Mesa, the forwarded me to one of their affiliates in the San Gabriel Valley, and it was fixed the very same day.

~4 years ago I've purchased my M-2000 brand new and it's been going strong ever since. 3 months ago I installed new preamp tubes, that's all.

:bassist:

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Did you check the tubes? There should be three in there, and it stands to reason that if the one that feeds the mosfets is dead, the preamp and DI will still work. Try that first before you take the drive.

And you can't drive to Mesa on Friday. They are closed on Fridays. If you want to go on a Monday, I'll go with you. :hyper:

4. I have been lovin' my M-2000 for... I think... 6 years now. Keep It!!! I agree with basstriaxis, check the tubes 1st. At least the drive to Petaluma can be a nice one. I think Alembic is up there too. You should stop in for a tour.

Oh, and hello, I am from Santa Cruz too (Boulder Creek).

-Mike

5. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Maybe I'll take you up on that bass. I actually need to go through San Fran to pick up a bag for my suit (bastards gave it away when I was having it tailored and then didn't have any more). I'm also thinking of taking my guitar playing friend who is thinking of getting a dual rec.

I also need to make a trip to Sacramento so I may try to figure a way to nail all three in some sort of orderly fashion. I'm not too clear on where Petaluma sits in conjunction with San Fran and Sac. Oh well, PM me and we can talk.

The problem with my Mesa going out now is it was made before they were offering the 5 year warranty (wth is with that anyway?) so I'm paying all repair costs no matter how it crumbles (fun since I don't have a job right now).

BTW Snoopy, I live on beach hill right by downtown :)

6. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    when did u get the mesa?

7. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I bought it used about 4 months ago. Worked perfectly fine since. It was originally purchased in 2000 I think. Since it had lasted this long I figured it was a workhorse. I got a pretty nice deal on it too.

Anyways, I'm hoping it's nothing too bad. I'm not sure on the schematics of it but wouldn't the FET side always work (since it doesn't have tubes to go out), or is there a tube between the pre-amp section and the power section?

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    There is a tube driving the power section, no matter what pre-amp you are using. I highly suggest taking the top off and see what's going on. It could be something as simple as a wire that's come unsoldered or a tube blown out.

Petaluma is about a 45 minute drive north of SF.

9. Bridge Cables

Bridge Cables Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Southern N C
    Bought my D-180 in '83, not one break down, just keeps cranking it out!

Took it and my M-Pulse 600 to repair this past Dec. Thought the D-180 might (?) need caps, it is 21 years old! Tech said forget, it's fine, enjoy! :D

The M-Pulse, one year old, had a can of Diet Mountain Dew spilled down the vent hole by my guitarist helping (?) carry in my equipment to practice! :bawl: Let it dry, flicked the power on, lights on, no sound, oh no!!

Prayers said, beers drunk, many beers drunk!! Day later, sound returns! Don't know which did the trick! Tech cleans a few boards, clean bill of health!

Played eight hours Sunday, sounding sweet!

Haven't had any problems, pretty good testament. The guys at Mesa always returned calls, helped with questions, suggestions, excellent, Randall has a good crew.

Give Triaxis' suggestion a try.

BC :cool:

10. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I opened it up and turned it on. As far as I can see there are no loose wires or blown tubes. All the tubes light up fine and look like they're in good condition. Any specific signs I should be looking for?

11. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Don't sell it !
    Make it fix and it will last for years and years. It's a killer amp.

If you sells it, Basstriaxis and I gonna sack you out of the M2000 Trio and change our name to M2000 Duo :spit:

12. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, I guess it's worth hanging on to. I oughta put a little effort into making sure it's 100% reliable. I also want to put some sort of ground lift switch on the direct out (or I guess I could just get an adaptor).

Just the weight of having to haul my QSC rack and my Mesa rack to practices for the next week made me cranky. I still love my Mesa.

I think I may borrow a Sansamp DI for the next week so I don't have to haul the Mesa around.

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You just hit upon my biggest, and I think only, complaint about the M2000. Ground lift on the DI! I've needed one several times, and killed me that it's not there.

Don't get sacked. I think that would be bad.

14. Najab, how's the M2000 coming along?

By the way, I've played the Elk lodge a couple of times.
    :D

15. Sorry.......... NATRAB (I'm getting old)

16. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Well as it stands now I'm just gonna have to take it to Mesa and see what they have to say. Hopefully it won't cost much to repair. I'll prolly head up there monday, so I'll let you all know the diagnosis sometime next week.

17. Ahem........Where was I when this gang started!?

18. Hi There Coulnt help noticing you have quite a bit of info on the M2000 - bought one second hand 2 yrs ago in UK sounds great once i'd followed the manula to get the best set up plus tweked it a bit live. Anyway i think i may need to replace the valves as there is quite a bit of high end hiss coming out of it.
    Should I replace all valves and if so what with ? (are there more than one type in there ?)

19. Does mesa still offer the M-2000? How much do they go for new?

20. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    No, the M-Pulse 600 replaced the M-2000. You can find one on the bay.