Oh no, not another Hartke post!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spector_Ray, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    I just acquired a Hartke 2000 for dirt cheap. I plugged it into an Ampeg 6x10 cabinet and it sounded terrible. I know that if you're pushing 200 watts into a 600 watts RMS cabinet, it won't sound very good. I want a decent fat tone with a little bit of growl. I just bought a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI in order to tie up the loose ends of my tone. Does anyone have any suggestions for cabinets for this amp to push? What are your experiences with the 2000?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    It should sound just fine, within reason.

In what way did it sound terrible...and how loud were you playing?

How was the EQ set and was the compressor on or off? It doesn't take a whole lot of low end boost with those amps to cause a cabinet to move a whole lot of air.
  3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I played my 3500 through my Ampeg 810 for a while, and I thought it sounded fine. The only way using a 200w amp through a 600w cab is gonna sound bad is if you're pushing the amp too hard. I have a friend who uses a 3500 through his Ampeg 610, and another friend with a 2000. I'm sure you can find a workable tone with a bit of effort. There's got to be a thread or two around here with good EQ/settings for that amp.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That's a ridiculous assumption, and has nothing to do with tone.
  5. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    My Hartke 5000 amp has a love hate relationship with me. It took me forever to find a sweet tone with my cabs but now that I found one I have a different amp on the way. I think my Hartke is just jealous :)

My EQ settings are almost flat a bit past half way with some mids upped and the lowest and highest boosted a bit. With the Low frequency a little below 12 O'clock and the high about at 1 O'clock with the crossover cutting some of the lowest frequencys out to cut back on clipping.

Just play with it some more and you'll find a decent sound.
  6. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    It's not an assumption. I know what my ears hear and I've been building and installing car stereo systems for years and I know that if you underpower a speaker cabinet, it'll sound crappy for numerous reasons.
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Bass guitar cabs and car speaker cabs are entirely different things. If you're telling the pros here that putting 200 watts into a 4x10 cab rated at 700 watts is going to sound like crap at moderate levels, you're smoking crack.

Sure, if you push it to clipping, it will sound like crap, but if you run it at low to moderate levels, it will sound no different than if driven at low to moderate levels by a 1000 watt amp.
  8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I had a Hartke 2000 head that I pushed two 1x18 cabs with. I can tell you even though I wasn't pushing the 800 watts the two cabs could take it had a really nice sound.

I admit that I traded up for the 3500 real quick because I needed to have more volume. BTW, mine was "old" Hartke, not the new stuff.