Oh no, not another NV-610 thread!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Reccord, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Ok. I'm really torn here. I was all set to buy an Ampeg 810E, but the NV-610 keeps popping into my head, mostly because of you guys! :spit: :D Is it really that kick-ass? Does it get close to the real Ampeg vibe? I can't try one because the nearest dealer is 3000km away from here, but I'm really interested in that cab.... The price would be about the same for either. I've read the other threads a bunch of times but I still can't decide. Help!

2. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Ive posted alot on this before but this might be something new. Even though the nv610 has the vintage vibe it can get clean and tight. Ive powerd the nv610 with a ebs td650, trace elliot gp12 smx and a ashdown rpm1, eden navigator and aguilar db680 pre/power all in a live setting. The nv610 lets the voice of each preamp show through. The ampeg cab will still have the ampeg sound + the preamp sound. In the showroom the nv doesnt stick out as "THE" cab but it really shines in a live setting. It cuts great on stage and is really room filling. My favorite head/pre with the nv610 is the trace, its killer! The nv610 isnt as power hungry at the other berg ht cabs but it can take it if you give it. I would go with the nv610 over the ampeg. jmo
  3. jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    Go with the Nv6-10. It is a great cab. It will fill up the room and is much lighter than the Ampeg 8-10.

4. The lighter thing is a bonus. Is the tone close? I'm using a '76 SVT... I have a 410HLF right now. I dig it, but the amp seems to work better with a sealed box. I like the 810 a lot, but I do have concerns about moving it, the NV is almost 70lbs lighter.....
    Dang decisions!

5. Not much help here except mine is killer. love it.
  6. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
  7. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I sold an 810 because moving it just plain sucked.

Ultimately you don't want to greatly compromise your tone for portability, but if you can even get really close while lightening the load its worth a look.

Throw the SVT in the car and make a weekend trip out of it. Your going to have that nagging in the back of your head if you buy the 810, always wondering "should I have tried it." Especially at 3:AM when you're loading out of a gig and then back into your house and all your bandmates have taken their little guitar combos and bailed on you.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm beginning to wonder if I just like a sealed box better in general ...

Bergantino is the mfgr of the nv610

later ...
  9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The NV 610 weighs a little less than the 410HLF and a LOT less than the 810. That would be a big factor for me.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Someone I know refurbishes SVT's. I've been meaning to bring my NV610 by his place to A/B it with a vintage 8x10 (underneath a vintage SVT head, of course) but I haven't gotten around to it. Part of the reason is, I'm very afraid that if I hear the NV610 with a vintage SVT head I will wind up buying a vintage SVT head. :eek:

Mark, if you're looking for vintage tone either the NV610 or sealed Ampeg 8x10 will most likely sound better to you than the 410HLF (which is a fine cab, but not as vintage sounding). As mentioned, the NV610 is smaller and significantly lighter than the Ampeg 810.... up to you whether you want to take a chance on a cross-continent deal, but like Big String I'm very happy with mine; I can get great old-school sounds esp. when using my SABDDI.
  11. ALSO...
    I find the NV610 very easy to move around, especially for a rather small 52 year old guy. With an abundance of handles I just hoist it up on one knee into the back of my van. It rolls like a dolly on the fixed rear casters easily pulled with one hand. You have to be careful going through doorways in your house, but I go slow. The cab being sealed type is not that deep and that is a big plus for tight stages plus the fact it is fairly tall is great to hear yourself. It sound is tight and clear and as Ken said many times you can make it growl. Hold on to your butt too, it is very punchy. I'm afraid to someday try the NV215....really the two of those together might be Heave on Eleven. My amp goes to 11. :D
  12. Is it an old QSC mx1500? They went to 11...:D

Anyhoo, I'm definitely leaning in the NV-610 direction and I'm looking to buy very soon. The weight and size advantages are very good selling points. I have only heard glowing reviews of the sound. I'm looking for an old-school-ish tone, but nice and focused, punchy and growly. The old SVT and the SR-5 or Jazz bass can generate lots of snarl....:D
    The next question is where to get it.... Rock City in Boston is the closest dealer to me and I've actually talked to Corey (GIBSONGEEK) about the NV-610, so that's probably my best bet....
    I'm only a bit leery because I can't try it first, but if I hate it, I can always sell it again, I suppose... This is why I'm bugging you cats about it with another thread on it....:D
  13. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    You just described the nv610 sound. One negative about the nv610 that I have found, you might get GAS for a nv 215 as well. :bassist:
  14. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    I sure like mine, I've only played one gig and a couple practices with the band but it sounds vintagey and really cuts through with my VJ. I won't say I wouldn't sell it and get something else but it will be awhile. The NV215 combo would be awesome!