Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh no! Please help me fix a pickup!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Aug 14, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, I need to reconnect a wire to a pickup. Has anyone ever done this before? The wire came off "inside" the pickup coil. This pickup is an older style, it has a bunch of really fine wire wrapped longitudinally, and the coil is covered with some tape. I've already removed the pickup casing, so I now have the exposed coil, and it's still wrapped in tape. The stub end of the broken pickup wire is not visible.

Question: what's the best way to approach this? I'm thinking, first carefully remove the tape. Then, use a magnifying glass to try to locate the stub, and with a pair of jewelry tweezers try to lift the stub off the coil. Then, the wire has enamel insulation, so use a soldering iron to fry off the enamel from the end. Then reattach the wire. It'll be coming through a different part of the housing now (ie it'll be a shorter wire), so I'll have to lengthen the piece that attaches to it. Then, wrap the tape back on, and put the whole thing back. Hopefully the enamel insulation will prevent any shorts from the soldered piece to anywhere inside the coil.

Does that sound like the right way to do it? Any problems here, or anything I should be aware of?

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    That's what I'd do. Use lots of light, a good magnifying glass and be patient. These sorts of jobs either go ahead quickly, or are fiddly and the first can turn into the second quickly.

Best of luck.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sounds ok. Pretty much what I did when I had to reattach the ground wire to a Jazz neck pickup recently.

4. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Thanks guys. I'm doing it now. Will keep you posted. :)

5. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It worked! Boy, I never realized how fine that pickup wire really is. Pups must be a bear to wind. Anyway, all's well with the world, the newly installed active preamp works perfectly, and the instrument's quiet as a church mouse. Had to rout out a little extra along both sides of the cavity, not much, just enough to fit the battery in there. Now I'm waiting for the #4 countersink so I can reattach the pick guard, and then it'll be good to go. Thanks guys, I'd love to buy y'all a beer sometime. :)

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Great to hear it's fixed.

Now about that beer. Just send a Business class airline ticket to me in Australia so I can come collect.....