OH NO! spank'n new avatar 410neo hums.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Nov 17, 2004.

1. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    so i get the 1001rb-II today, which by the way is the sexiest inanimate object i've ever owned.
    anyway, i plug into the avatar 410 which came last week, crank up the gk to 9oclock and begin working the strings. i couldn't believe how smooth everything sounded. i push up to 11oclock to get some thump out of it, and yep, the bottom left speaker is giving off a buzz. i get a flashlight on the cones, but can't find any physical damage. the glue around the dustcaps look good too. but i'm 95% positive it's the bottom left.
    i called dave at avatar, but they were already closed. hopefully tomorrow we can work something out.
  2. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Sorry to hear about the buzzing on your new Neo Rusmannx :(

Yea, it's pretty hot lookin' ain't it? :D :cool: . I just picked up one myself last week. Wait till you see it with it's rack ears taken off :hyper: ;)

Hope you get the problem worked out... I'm sure Dave will take care of it.

- Frank.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    $100 says misaligned voice coil in that driver. It happens. Sometimes a bad driver from the factory, sometimes jarred in shipment. I had one driver bad fresh out of the box when I received one of my Aguilar GS-410's a few years ago. I called the company, shipped them the one speaker, and they had me a replacement within three days, no charge. I'll bet the Avatar dude will take care of this for you, he's good with customer service.
  4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I had a similar issue last winter when I bought my B410, one of the connectors for the +/- on the speaker had come off on the top left and it was making go screwy. One call to Dave, a few minutes of my time and all was well again. Plus he offered to knock money off a future purchase. He's an incredibly warm, genuine man who works hard at customer service and it pays off for him as it should. He'll help you, and if he can't he'll replace it for you.
  5. emor

May 16, 2004
    I got my WalkAbout Scout a couple of weeks ago and noticed a buzz, but more apparent at lower volumes. I first talked to the tech at the local repair station and he said he thought it might be a misaligned voice coil. (I tried the head through another cab and it was O.K.).
    I contacted Mesa last week, they sent me a replacement speaker which I installed this evening, and everything seems to be working fine now.
  6. rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    you think dave will have me pull the suspicious speaker and play with 3 to make sure i have the right one? i'd hate to be an idiot and send him the wrong one.
  7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Eh, it's doubtful. If anything, you'd be testing them two at a time or even one at a time due to series/parallel wiring and impedance matching. I'm sure Dave has an easier way to diagnose the problem for you than that, as I've heard nothing but stellar reports about Avatar customer service