Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

oh no - stripped truss nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MattyN, Jun 6, 2003.

1. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    i was just poking around on my new cirrus 4 that i bought on eBay and discoverd that the nut on my truss rod is totally stripped.

i've read some threads on the subject and am hopeful that the nut can be replaced and the rod itself is fine. i'll take into my guitar tech asap.

my question? how could this happen?

this bass is flawless, practically brand new in every other way and the neck plays well (i was gonna give the nut an 1/8 turn to decrease the relief a tiny bit but i can get by without it).

i know i'm gonna have nightmares tonight of my beautiful new bass sitting in the backseat of a parked car in 110 degree heat with the neck warped like a longbow. :(

seriously though, if anyone has seen anything like this before on a relatively new instrument i'd really appreciate your perspective.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Did you try shimming the truss rod nut with washers?

3. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    i don't know how to do this... please explain.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've only done it once (to a guitar, at that), but here's how it went:

Unscrew the truss rod nut - you will need to keep tension (pull) on the nut as you turn it to get past the stripped section. Forceps or needlenose pliers will work here once the nut is loose - be gentle.

Check the nut while it's off - if the nut is stripped, it's an easy fix. If it's a portion of the rod that's stripped, sometimes the washers change the position of the nut enough to allow it to be tightened.

If it's the nut, find a few washers that are about the same diameter. Drop a washer or two on the truss rod, and see if it tightens.

Good luck!