1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

oh, not another cliff thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Foxworthy925, May 31, 2007.

1. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    ha, I knew that would get everyone's attention.

no, this is asking about a band that my sister played for me, Anberlin. She showed me the song godspeed by 'em, and I really like the bass's distortion in that song. Live, he always uses some kind of ampeg tube head (I don't know specifically, I'm not an ampeg afficionado), and an ampeg 8x10. he may use a completely different setup in the studio however: idk. I don't know what kind of pedal can get me close to that distortion tone, but I just know I can't even get near it with my odb-3:rollno: anyone know what he uses specifically?

2. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    seriously, no one knows what he's using or what can get close to that tone?

hmmm. what's basically the distortion (or drive, I just keep getting mixed up on which I'm talking about) pedal out there that can flat out give the most disto possible. not these wimpy little effects for a nice added grind and warmth. just full out, ripping your intestines out through your mouth, boiled in human flesh, ribcage splitting, hanging over a meat grinder by your tongue, earth moving distortion? anyone kind of get what I'm going for?

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I don't know the band or the song, but since you say he's using an Ampeg, I'd be willing to bet that it's a roaring SVT that gets him that tone.

Sans Amp BDDI or a Fulltone Bass Drive might get you close. The SA is basically an SVT in a box...or so they say.

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    You might get more responses if your title had something to do with your thread.

5. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    yeah that or if anyone had heard of that band...

6. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    hm, that's weird. I thought it was a pretty well known band, if your into that kind of music (I'm not).

here's the song on youtube:

7. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    :rolleyes:

8. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    I have no idea what kind of pickups are on your ibanez, but the split coil P he plays are a huge part of that tone... I think that you could probably get pretty close with most of the light grit pedals we talk about around here and a P bass. I got sort of similar sounds with a precision and an english muff'n... (less huge sounding though)

Maybe a sansamp as those are supposed to be an "ampeg in a box"... I can't comment from experience with one though.

Edit... I wouldn't call that full out distortion, more mid to high level overdrive or lighter to mid distortion.

9. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    ok thanks for the info. how do you like the muff'n?

yeah, and I didn't mean for the sound I was describing to supposedly be what I'm hearing from him. it only came out that way. just talking about otherwise...

10. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    The muff'n was nice, I ended up getting rid of it, but its nice. A good range from almost no drive to decently high gain (and tube swapping options). Lots of threads on it if you search, but its pretty well liked around here (if you can ignore the size/powersupply)

Other than that, I haven't used many high gain pedals, but a search ought to help that as well (big muff's or the little big muff are pretty heavy, but fuzz not distortion... thats about all I can think of off hand.) The search really is your friend.

11. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    yeah that would explain it, I hate that music, lol

hate is such a strong word though...

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Sounds like an overdriven tube tone (rolled back on the treble, cranked on the mids) combined with pickstyle playing.

I doubt fingerstyle playing would get you that kind of grind, but a pick certainly would, IME.

If you don't have an all-tube amp like an Ampeg SVT-CL, consider pedals like the SansAmp BDDI, or look into overdrive pedals that have midrange bumps/boosts.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021