Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh poo...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigBohn, Dec 28, 2001.

1. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I went today to pick up my brand spankin new Eden 410XLT, without the SWR IOD preamp, thinking I could bargain a rent of a loaner preamp off of them til the IOD came. Well, they had to preamps to rent out, and no other stores did, as well as my friends. So I ended up not picking up a preamp, as well as not picking up the cabinet because its no use looking at it.

OK, heres where you come in. I now have my mind open to new preamps. The selection of preamps that I had before I ordered the IOD are Demeter, Kern, Alembic, Eden, and a few others I believe. I'm trying to keep it around the 500 to 700 dollar range. The only reason I'm not getting the IOD is because its on backorder and I'll have to wait 3 more weeks, added to my already 2 weeks. Not good enough for me, so I need to consider other options as preamps. A SansAmp BDDI? What? Any suggestions on preamps that you think might entice me? On Sunday, I plan on picking up the cabinet, along with having my poweramp, and just play out preamps, A/B tons of em. So, what do you think I should really check out and what should I stay away. Remember, no Ampeg for me...:p

Thanks in advance...:)

2. Bass Northwest, IOD for $575

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Dear Mr. Bohn,
    I have the Kern & Eden Navigator pre's, they're both top notch pieces. The Eden is less "tube" sounding than the Kern but they both are very versatile. BTW, I picked up a QSC PLX 3402, beautiful sound(or should I say lack of), pitch quiet & tons of low-end power. What power amp are you using? Both those pre's should run you in the $700 range new, unless you can find someone parting with one(RARE) but possible. I'll keep my eyes & ears open for 'ya.

ciao,
    Mephisto

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    You crazy mofo, you can't wait 3 weeks for your preamp to come in, so you're gonna give up on it and get a different one just for the sake of being able to play through it now?

I find your lack of faith disturbing. Get an Ampeg SVP-PRO already :D You know you're gonna get one eventually; just get it over with, man.

I promise I won't tell any of your Eden-loving cronies :p

5. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    word. never settle.

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    IMHO waiting 3 or 5 weeks for a good piece of equipment isn't a long time at all! You may be using it for years and years...

I had to wait 3 months for my GK MB150, and it was really worth it...
    When I had to wait only 4 weeks for my latest cab this autumn I thought I was a lucky boy :)

Just be patient...

Matthias

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Ok guys, I'm back after missing a weekend of TB, so heres the dillio.

I went back to that store, to find a brand new Eden Navigator sitting on the floor, unused. So I played it for a half hour or so, thinking intently on what to do. Since the SWR IOD wasn't being scheduled to be here til the middle of January, I decided on this. I would buy the Eden Navigator, as well as take my 410XLT that was already there, but I would still keep the SWR IOD on order. This gives me a week or two to see if I should cancel the order on the IOD and keep the Navigator, a very exceptional preamp I like, or return the Navigator and purchase the IOD. So, today was Day 1 of testing. I still have a week or more to continue my testing to determine whether or not the Navigator is here to stay.

Thanks for all the input and for being there for me, you all. BTW heres a picture of it. Ain't it a beaut!:D

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Awesome rig, but man...weakest link!!!

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

Hey man, whats does that mean!!!!??

;) :)

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    and falsehood, to tell you the truth, I'm not really "settling" on a preamp. I've heard the 410XLT with an SWR SM-900. I assume that the closest sound I can imagine the SWR IOD will be like in clean mode would be the SM-900. I liked the sound, but wasn't amazed. To tell you the truth, again, I just ordered the SWR IOD on a wim because I liked the name, had some friends that used them, it was the lowest price of the bunch of preamps I had my eye on, and it was the closest brand of preamp I could test on. Since that faithful day the Navigator ended up on the floor of my music store, I was in love. The Eden Navigator seems capable of doing what I want it to do. Its got a good EQ, a decent compressor, and works as a DI, which I have no damn clue what that is. Anyways, the Navigator so far looks like a solid contender to stay. I'll just let the days pass and enforce that.

11. that is a suh-WEET rig....

play it and enjoy it. screw the "it's not my choice of gear" comments.

all of us could be better bassists by spending more time playing and less time wondering about gear...

:rolleyes: :cool:

12. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Thanks bimplizkit, that was a nice and truthful thing you said. Thanks. :)

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, the only thing left to do is call the store and cancel that order. God has made a wise decision for you. Oops, sorry. Sore subject.

14. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    :D I hope so...

15. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    congrats on the new rig! eden makes GREAT stuff. enjoy!

16. BigBohn,

What are you paying for the IOD? If you get stuck with it, perhaps you and I can talk...

If interested, email me at: doc@compudox.com as I rarely check PM here.

17. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Was paying $550 for it, but I'm not getting it anymore, atleast for now. I feel like the Eden Navigator will be better for me.

Happy New Year!:D

18. Had an Ampeg pre years ago -- maybe a Pro, or a predecessor. GREAT SOUND, butat the time I thought that I really needed an XLR out and bi-amp, so I sold it. Went to SWR, hated the sweepable mid-range honk. Went to Eden; again sweepable mid-range honk, but not as much as the SWR. Went to Kern. DAMMIT WHAT A SOUND!!! Driving it with a QSC 2402 into Eden D210XLT and D410T with the tweets mostly off, it's my sound -- forever.

But seriously, the Kern has a big, fat, greasy old Fender-y tone -- but that's what I want. The "Tone Balance" control helps to give the Kern a more modern edge, but if you're after Contemporary Bass Tone, give up the Kern. Go with the SWR, Eden Navigator or the Demeter.

As always, YMMV.

See ya!

dcr

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Your tone is only as strong as your weakest link. Therefore...I think you're entitled to a new bass. ;):D