Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh, POOP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bottomdweller, Mar 6, 2003.

1. I can't believe this. I'm 31 years old and been working on guitars and basses since I first started playing.(16 years ago)(God,I feel old!) So,I'm not some rookie who doesn't know what he's doing.
    I was just installing some tuners on an aftermarket neck made by a reputable company. This is a new neck,never installed. And the headstock SPLIT RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE!! This is unbelievable! I'm SO MAD! I know they won't refund my money. I'm sure the warranty doesn't cover this sort of thing.
    I was pressing the bushings in and *CRACK*(sound effect) it just split. And it was just a crappy project bass. A friend gave me a body that was kinda beat up and junky looking. So,I routed a big hole in it and bought a Duncan MM pickup and a neck. It ended up costing more than I wanted to spend,but I did it over a period of about 6-8 months when I would get bored. Now I have a hacked body a MM pickup that I have no use for and a broken neck. This sucks!
    Anyway-I'm sure I've wasted enough of your time. I just needed to vent to someone besides my wife who would just shake her head and laugh. She means well...

(HD's edit - minor changes to choice of words, no biggie. I'd be mad, too...)

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Sounds like its time for the Elmer's glue!!:(

3. Man that sucks. I'd add that one to my whoops file!

Ya know I was going to redo a bass and customize it and make it all cool, but then I just bought a P Bass and said ta h*ll with it.

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    That's terrible. Espicially(sp) if you can't get your money back.

5. I'm so sorry! I wish there was something I could do to help! That must really suck... 6-8 months jes*s~! I would love to be able to make my own Bass guitar... There's got to be something you can do... right...?

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    that's not a bad idea. Seriously, you can glue it back together, though you'd need something a little stronger than elmer's. The wood glue that's used to make instruments is actually stronger than the wood itself.

7. Thats absolute crap. They sold you a defective product! If you heckle the company enough you should be able to get a refund.

8. I think he meant for his wife, not the bass !

:D

that sucks about the neck buddy, Id keep at the company, try and get it fixed for free or refund :)

9. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I don't know how bad the split is, but I would try to glue it back together, then put 1/32" veneer on the headstock...maybe even on the back of it. Could end up looking seriously good, and would be stronger than before.

10. One word:

Duct tape :rolleyes: ;)

11. :D ;) Why didn't I think of that? :bassist:

12. I'm going to call the store I bought it from and see what they say. I'm friends with a guy there,but his hands are tied by the store's policies. I will also call Allprrts and see what they say. If that fails I will start looking for glue.
    I like the veneer idea. See,I knew you guys would have some ideas...:bassist:

13. Hey BD, don't just glue and veneer over the crack. I've seen this type of prob before and it's best solved with 1 or a couple of wood dowels put through the edge of the headstock across the crack and then glued. This will greatly reduce the chances of the crack opening again with changes in humidity etc. Use a maple dowel and you won't even see the repair if it's done well.

14. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I know it's not a bad idea. I was serious!! But actually I was thinking of Elmer's wood glue, not school glue:D

15. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    How about using one of those "Fat Head" thingys on the headstock? They are (were?) a brass headstock shaped plate that were supposed to cure deadspots and increase sustain.
    I'd think with glueing,dowels and one of those it'd never come apart.........might neck dive a bit though...

16. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Here's one on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=2513260537&rd=1

17. I was actually thinking about one of those. Hmmm...

18. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    try to see if you can find some gorilla glue. it's amber colored and comes in an elmer's sized bottle. it is absolutely the best glue in the world for wood. it's much stronger than epoxy; you put some on one side of the crack and some water on the other and clamp them together. it takes a few hours to set but once it does it will actually be stronger than before it split. it expands out of the crack a little but it is sandable. make sure you wear gloves because it bonds instantly to human flesh and has to be removed surgically (thinners, etc. don't do diddly to it.) i say try that if the company doesn't see the light but they should especially if they are reputable and want to stay that way...

good luck and let us know what you decide to do and how it fares in the end... ;)

19. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    no need for doweling or scoring or anything. just clamping and some sanding at the end.

i know that ace carries it but you might want to try some other hardware and or hobby/craft stores.

20. I second the gorilla glue, strongest stuff on the market.