1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oh Sears, please don't die

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fdeck, Nov 16, 2018.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Sears still has the best prices and service for ordering appliance parts online.

Clark Dark, Datsgor and Reedt2000 like this.
  2. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    What kind of commercial user are you? :)

gebass6 and TOOL460002 like this.
  3. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    In 1983 I also bought my 1st electric guitar out of their catalog.......

4. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    Sears died long ago. It's just twitching in it's death throes.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The CEO is intentionally ripping off pieces and selling them off. The last thing to go will be the first eal estate.

MJ5150 likes this.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    All my broken Craftsman tools make great paper weights.....

7. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    I saw that their Kenmore appliance line is valued at more than the entire Sears name.

Copperhead likes this.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'll be bummed when the one in our town closes. We moved here in 1979, and it was here before us.
    I buy things there now and then, but my own shopping habits have contributed to their demise since I'm almost exclusively an Amazon shopper.

-Mike

danesdad likes this.
  9. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Their auto center was competitive with local shops. Enough to sway me over. I'll miss 'em.

Gaolee, MJ5150 and Reedt2000 like this.
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Sears is the only place i can find a lot of parts I can’t find any place else, even for stuff they never sold. I’ve got a couple of older Generac portable generators and i get all my parts for them from Sears because they have exploded drawings for them (with P/N’s) and they actually have the parts when i want/need them. Their prices run a bit high, but a little more for a part in stock versus “we can have it for you next month...maybe” is a no brainer.

MJ5150 and buldog5151bass like this.
  11. My 'fridge, washer, and dryer are all Kenmore. All are 25 years old. All still run.

bobba66, MJ5150 and jallenbass like this.
  12. Our local K-Mart is a dichotomy in progress.
    There are signs out front that they're hiring, but a HUGE banner on top of the store that they're closing.

Everything is half-price right now & will probably be even cheaper next week.

13. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    So sad, but true. Long gone are the lifetime warranty of the old craftsman tools.

I see Lowes selling craftsman now...

TolerancEJ, jefff100 and Artman like this.
  14. I was born that year! (Feel old.)

15. Copperhead

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    Sears was the go to place for guys in the trades who couldn't afford the high end stuff. They would have periodic sales. I worked with a maintenance mechanic who cut a screwdriver off with a hacksaw to see if they would honor the unconditional warranty. They did. All things must pass.

Even the top brands like Klein and Milwaukee have gone middle of the road retail. That's survival in a world economy.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    joebar likes this.
  16. Copperhead

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
  17. AJ78bass

AJ78bass

Sep 2, 2018
    I will also be very sad when Sears is gone... we’ve bought many appliances and other items from them. I think they just never kept up with trends and ended up with a perception of being “dated”.

18. Craftsman is sold at other retail outlets.
    Ace Harware, and one or two if the Big Box home improvement stores.
    I don’t know how that bodes for the old replacement warranty, but it seems craftsman is alive and well.
    That may eventually be all that’s left of what once was Sears.

Of the large Malls in town here that have Sears stores, they closed the store at the busiest of those malls and left open the one at an otherwise dead mall. I think it came down to what they were paying for rent at one vs the other, or maybe they would have had to break a lease at the Zombie mall.

Mrs. GB always knows that when she’s with me at the mall, the only entrance to that mall is through the Sears store.
    They were always laid out so you had to pass through, or by, the tool department. [Tool Time grunt]

Artman and Pilgrim like this.
  19. I think it has been many years since Kenmore was Kenmore. The Kenmore fridge that we bought before the one we have now was a rebranded LG. Rebranding goes on a lot now. You should still be able to buy the same manufacturer’s appliances that you bought at Sears ten years ago. They just won’t be called Kenmore.

It’s my understanding that a lot of the consumer entertainment electronics comes out of one factory.
    On Mondays they get Panasonic logos. On Tuesday they get Toshiba, on Wednesday...

BTW... I used to know a guy named Ken Moore. We gave him the nickname, Joe Sears.

20. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Returned some dead Craftsman hand tools to Lowes for free replacement.