1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Oh. That's what's wrong with my amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barthanatos, Apr 9, 2006.

1. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    So I've got this SVT-2 Pro that I picked up at BassNW. I was told when I bought it that it had been serviced by an Ampeg certified tech to factory conditions, and had all new tubes. Good deal. Great amp.

I played it for awhile, and decided to fill up the rack case that has holding my amplifier, 'cause I just couldn't have four empty slots there, y'know? So I add some things, including a noise eliminator and a compressor. I hook it all up, and hey, everything works. Sweet.

After a while I notice that the amp is pretty quiet. I'm thinking maybe I didn't let it warm up enough, or I overdrove the tubes a bit too much, or something. I'm not sure. I notice that when I send a line out the the sound board that I'm only giving a very (not useable) weak signal to the sound guy. I fiddle a little and discover that when I put the Pre/Post switch in Pre, sound guy gets a good signal. Huh.

I also notice that if I turn up the gain knob on the compressor, that the speaker makes a god-awful noise that is scary and sounds like something is going to break if I let it keep going. Very peculiar.

For some reason (this is after a couple weeks) I decide to unplug all the effects from the effects loop. Amp is immediately loud as hell. I'm happy, of course, but a little confused. I decide I have a ground on my effects loop. Not a 0 ohm ground, but a ground. I decided to try and figure out where in the signal chain the ground was, and do a bit of plug-and-chugging with the wires.

I hook up a cord straight from the send to the return. Good volume.
    I hook cords up to put the compressor in the signal chain. Virtually no sound comes out whatsoever. I hit the "bypass" switch on the compressor. Tons of volume. Hmm.
    I check the noise eliminator in the fx loop by itself. Very weak sound, but more than from the compressor. I hit the bypass button. Lots of volume. That sucks. I was really hoping it was just one component that was bad. How could they both be bad? Not likely.

At this point (today) I ask myself, "Self ('cause that's what I call myself when I'm talking to me), surely the send/return points aren't backwards. Surely." So on this whim, I try switching the send/return cables, with trepidation, half-expecting to blow something up.

Sure enough... the send/return jacks on the effects loop of my amplifier were backwards. The jack labeled return is actually hooked up to the "send" signal path, and vice-versa. Hallelujah, problem solved. Everything acts totally normal now. I am so happy.

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Good job locating the problem.
    I have a Joe Meek mic preamp, that came factory equiped with a reverce wired f/x send jack.

If you were dyslexic, you never would have noticed, those two jacks were reverced......;)