Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh, The Humanity!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HiFi, Aug 13, 2004.

1. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I'm at a point where I'm not sure what to do anymore.

I currently play a Benevente as my main bass and recently assembled a custom FrankenFender Jazz bass as a backup. The problem is that the backup bass seems to have the tone I really want over the Benavente, even though the Benavente is already almost exactly what I was looking for so I never gave it much thought that I could find my ideal tone elsewhere. I'm now considering the fact that I could sell the Benavente and get a cheaper backup bass and save some cash for more gear and things.

I love the Benavente, and it's one of the very first ones built, but feel like it would be a waste to have it sit in a case until I need it for a couple songs during a set. I would love to keep both, of course, but I just don't see that being the best thing if I can give the Benavente a new home.

Tomorrow will be the true test. First band practice with the new bass and I will probably play a few gigs before I really make the final decision, so we'll see if the Fender keeps up. Just venting my indecision.

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Don't do it.. Keep the Bene and find another cheaper backup if you must, but by all means..

KEEP THE BENAVENTE!!!!!!!!!!

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    how old and which Benavente do you have?

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I have to disagree. If it's not going to get played, you don't need to keep it.

I just sold one of only two 6 string acoustic basses made by Athlete. I wasn't playing it, so I got rid of it. I don't really see a Benevente going up in value, so it's not like it's an investment.

Don't get me wrong--I played some amazing Benes at NAMM. But, if it doesn't have serious sentimental value, and you aren't going to be using it, then what's the point?

5. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    In business, "cash is king." For the bass (and other instruments), it is tone that rules. If your frankenfender has the tone you want, it shouldn't matter what name is on the bass or your other basses. Play the one you prefer and sell any that you really don't need any more to fund more gear (amps, cabs, etc.)

P.S. Congratulations for finding your tone.

6. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Thanks for the advice so far. It is definitely a tough decision.

I am not home at the moment but will PM the serial number to you later if you want the details. I think it may have been built in '98 or thereabouts and has a transparent green finish over a quilted maple top. TB member, BassGuru was the former owner before me. It is not a current model that is listed or offered on the Benavente site.

EDIT: Just to comment, I'm in no way saying that the Benavente is an inferior bass. The build quality is amazing and much better than the Fender, and the tone is similar but not quite the same. The Benavente has really played great for me and I will consider buying another in he future once I get the financial means.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Beneventes are amazing basses, no doubt. But, if it ain't your thing, it ain't your thing, dig? ;)

My point is just that it's a lot of money to have tied up in an instrument if you aren't using it. There are lots of nice basses out there to play. :bassist:

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Bassable

Yea, I think I remember seeing that bass. Glad it worked out for you, atleast for a while. Thats one of Chris's early basses back when he was only a year or two into building. It more then likely came standard with EMG's at that time. Not the bass we build today, but a very nice bass forsure!

I Hope everything works out the best for you. And as other's have said, what works for you is what you need to stick with. Don't ever be affraid the find something better. Thats why we build custom basses for specific customer's and their needs.

9. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    There is always evaluating the guts and revamping the electronics and what-not as opposed to selling it off..... I did mods on an early SC (Brian, you said you thought it was SC #2 if memory serves) and the owner loves the sound it has over the sound it had.

As a caveat the owner of that bass is also considering sending it back to Chris to have it reworked and refinished.

You have several options it seems.

10. Just do what you think is right!
    You could keep your benavente a bit of time more, to let the time choose for you!

Perhaps after playing your backup bass, you'll find other good sounds with bene you won't find with backup?

Vince