1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oh, the humanity!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Trabeen, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Trabeen

Trabeen Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Idaho
    52 years ago today the first Led Zeppelin album was dropped on we Earthlings, I can think of no other single item that started me down the lifelong path of rock and roll tomfoolery quite like this round piece of black plastic.

C40221E2-8E27-420D-A038-C0C18EA69E86.jpeg

2. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I was driving a 1962 Mercury Comet, my first car. I installed an 8-track player in it and this is the first cartridge I bought. Good memories.

3. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    2640789668_48a2a84ddf.jpg

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Nice. Zep’s been a bad influence since probably 4th grade. Wasn’t much of a rocker when it first dropped. I was more into Sesame Street. But I got there as soon as I could. JPJ still gets me ramped
    to play bass. What can I say, too uncoordinated to play drums!

And, ya know, What’s this? It’s pretty cool...

5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    As a teen with a skull full of mush, this album blew me away. Now I’m old and have a skull full of, well, probably plaque and dead brain cells. The album still blows me away.

6. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I used that pic a few years back. We were playing in the lounge before and during intermission, for a really great Zep tribute band that played in the big room (Get the Led out- check them out if you get a chance). The picture was a nice tongue in cheek nod to the whole thing.

703744_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=R6bhOsDK8IoAX-RE0sI&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

murphy and biguglyman like this.
  7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Timing is everything...Cream had thrown in the towel(Goodbye had yet to be released), the glow of Electric Ladyland was fading, Beck’s Truth was a big deal for me(I’d just started playing bass), a little more focused and to the point than Cream, but it was inconsistent, and by then old news. Then I caught “How Many More Times” on the radio. What the hell was that? It sounded massive, epic, dramatic cavernous production, a major event. I knew of Jimmy Page, vaguely, from the Yardbirds. It pretty much made the springtime afterwards. II couldn’t come out fast enough, but that first album had sonics that were never duplicated. Beckola came out, I loved it, but it couldn’t compete.

JoshS, dogbrained, DeepHz and 2 others like this.
  8. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    It’ll get the vinyl spin tomorrow. Great album

kwdhsk, OldDog52 and Trabeen like this.
  9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I feel like a lot of things happened musically that wouldn’t and couldn’t have happened had it not been.

10. Yes, but:

Hammer of the Dogs !

GregC, woodyng2, sonic 7 and 8 others like this.
  11. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    I saw them on 5 April 1969 at the Village Blues Club in Dagenham, East London. This was a couple of weeks after Zep 1 came out in the UK (I think you guys over there got it in Jan 69, we had to wait until March). I rushed out next day and bought the album, and still think it's their best. I've always thought of Communication Breakdown as proto-punk. Admittedly they got a bit up themselves subsequently but we can forgive them can't we?

Hummergeist and HolmeBass like this.
  12. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I was a kid in school here in England... interestingly LZ 1 didn't make any impact in my age group and it wasn't until my dad brought a copy of LZ 2 back from a business trip to the US a year or so later that I got into them.

13. DeepHz

DeepHz Gold Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2017
    Clifton Park NY
    I saw them at Madison Square Garden in 73. Legendary ....... Big part of my love for music. My brother caught them when that album debuted at the Philmore East. Bought the album in the lobby and brought it home. The rest is history. Move over Beatles and Stones.....

ELG60 likes this.
  14. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    That was the first thing I thought of when i saw the thread title! :laugh:

staurosjohn and TNCreature like this.
  15. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  16. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Computer Music magazine.
    How Led Zeppelin’s “Communication Breakdown” sparked The Ramones’ American Punk Rock revolution

Robscott, Jeff Elkins and OldDog52 like this.
  17. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I saw them at London Alexandra Palace in '72... that venue is not ideal for loud rock bands. Great show though.

18. nbsipics

nbsipics The Virtues of Cruising Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    My garage band was never the same after. Good post op.

Trabeen likes this.
  19. When the album dropped the critics panned it. Shows how much they know. JPJ is also a good mandolin player. For a while he was making the rounds of Bluegrass festivals and could be found jamming in the parking lots with festival goers. He’s a really nice guy.

Shepsdad and Jeff Elkins like this.
  20. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Funny. 52 years ago, they were accused of ripping off folk music. 52 years later, they are folk music.

nbsipics, Outbush, Old_Noob and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021