Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh the joy and sorrow collide

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Shuller, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Shuller

Shuller

Feb 2, 2003
    moscow, russia
    Hello Mike,

As fan of all your work that I've heard (isn't much, unfortunately), I've today come accross a situation which brought upon both joy and sadness... you see about three months back I wrote a song for my band and we have pretty much just comepleted it and we're all really proud of it. However today I heard the Mnutemen's song 'Badges' and I flipped. Good song I thought but it seemed quite similar. Yes, turned out I 'copied' the bassline from it without ever hearing it. Joy and sorrow, all in one. Without 'my' bassline our song is zilch. I'm happy that I wrote something good but you know...

So heres my question: within a month we're entering a studio to record our first full lenght album. Not a commercial release, we're a small band from moscow, Russia. But being what I believe an honest musician I now need either a blessing or a telling off.

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

that's a trip but it happens - happens to me too, I write a bass line and then hear it already done on some old record I'm convinced I never heard before. parallel universes, maybe...

as for your journey into the studio, I wish you the best of luck and much success w/being both creative and expressive. I hope you and your bandmates find yourselves further down your musical road and enriched by the experience.

on bass, watt

3. Shuller

Shuller

Feb 2, 2003
    moscow, russia
    For your gracious thoughts, I thank you.

I put quite a lot of thought into this matter and I figured I'll change the 'line as much as I can (I've already started).

As soon as the album is done I'll send you the song/link.

p.s. parallel universes - most likely and thank you once again

Good luck

4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

shuller,

you know the lyrics to "badges" maybe? I didn't write them, I got them from the movie w/humphrey bogart called "treasure of the sierra madre" so lots of things get borrowed sometimes. I didn't intentionally do it, it just happened.

on bass, watt