Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh what a fool I was...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    To have almost traded my Hot Rod P-Bass for the Ibanez BTB. Not that the BTB is a bad bass by any measure, just not me. I guess I needed something to make me realize what I really had here in the bass that I currently own. For me there was no comparison. After playing around with the Ibanez for around two hours it was difficult for me to dial in a tone that I really enjoyed. The sounds were almost too clean, and there were just too many options and switches to fiddle with. I decided to plug in my Fender and out came that warm buttery organic sound that I fell in love with in the first place. I've found that i really enjoy the sound of a passive bass. I do most of my tone shaping through my amp.

So anyway, my GAS has actually been tempered for a while now. I am using the money that I would have spent on the BTB to completely refurbish my fretless Ric 4001.

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    good to see you came to your senses! :D

P@

3. You gotta watch out. GAS can make you do things you will regret. TB needs a GAS hotline that we can call 24/7 where someone will talk us down before we do something stupid.

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I leave my basses at home when I go to BassCentral. One, because it would be too easy to whip out my present bass and do a transaction in a moment of weakness, and two, I can get more selling it myself. I can always whip out my credit card. But I am missing the point of the story! The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. Sooner or later you will have stumbled upon THE BASS. So I am glad that you averted disaster.:)

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    It is a near fatal affliction.;)

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    NEVER take a favored piece of gear to any store, not to even leave in the car! There is just too much strength in the new gear...

"The Force is strong in this one...."

So why am I going to see what is closing out at Mars today?:D

P@

7. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    i think lol

yeah, it sucks to by gassy and have no money!