oh where, oh where can my perfect strings be....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Stangg, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Stangg

Stangg Guest

AAARGH! At first i tried roundwounds, but i hated the metallic, bell-like sound. so i tried flatwounds, and i completely love the sound. BUT they are way too tight. i can't do the same aerobics i did on the rounds. especially slapping, it makes it a lot harder.

so what's a string that pretty much sounds like flatwound, but plays like roundwound?
  2. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Were you using Nickel or Stainless RW's? I use Nickel RW's because I cannot stand the twangy, sterile sound of SS. Another option is half rounds.
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I dunno about playin' like a roundwound, but Thomastik-
    Infeld Jazz Flats (JF344) are VERY low tension.
  4. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    D'Addario makes "half-rounds." Kind of a middle of the road compromise between flats and rounds. That might be what you're looking for.
  5. Stangg

Stangg Guest

i'm pretty sure they were stainless steel.
    but, I have heard good things about half rounds. i'll try them, and get back to you.
    although, those TI flats sound pretty good, too.
  6. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    A nickel roundwound string, when broken in well, should not have the metallic sound you describe that is characteristic of stainless steel - by default, nickel sounds a lot warmer. Of course, there are many different kinds of combination strings that attempt to strike a balance between the two different methods of winding, such as Groundwounds, Pressure-wounds, or half-rounds mentioned. The D'Addario String Catalogue: http://www.daddario.com/STRINGCT/Dcatalog.htm It sounds like those half-rounds, mentioned by Jeb, are what you're looking for. Also the Slowounds are a good string, but are a bit more roundwound-ish sounding.
  7. I think the TI Jazz Flats may be what you're looking for.