Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh, wise ones.... advise me on my choice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zoroaster03, Apr 25, 2003.

1. I'm seriously thinking about buying a bass off someone here at TB (The Bass Guru, if you MUST know :) ): a Warwick Fortress V string fretless. i really like the look of the bass, and I played one the other day and they sounded very schweet. The one in the shop had flatwounds on it - a four string, but a fretless none the less, and it being the first time I'd played a fretless I'd had even more incentive to buy this one.

Am I making the "right" choice? What i mean by that is, should I buy it now and gets lots out of it, or should i decline, give the opportunity to buy it to others and buy the Fender Jazz i thought I'd wanted so badly? I play jazz, BTW, so any thoughts regarding the style to the bass would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, BTW ;)

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well...you asked for wise ones and got me instead.

I would say to try as much as you can before buying. I mean the best decision is an informed one. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. :confused:

Except for maybe that you don't need to apologize for a post that is 4-5 sentences long. ;)

3. in repair16

in repair16 Guest

Apr 24, 2003
    Whiting, Indiana
    Yes, go for it:bassist:

4. fine then! I take it back! :eek: :D

5. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i think it should depend on what other basses you already have.

6. i have a four string fretted; it doesn't have any outstandish characteristics, so I don't think it comes from any sort of "brand". i found it in Cash Converters. it's very heavy and a nice round heavy sound, but it's not what i want for what i'm playing. the Warwick i played on Wednesday was very light -or maybe I'm just used to a heavy bass - and the feel and action was great. Unfortunately they only had one Warwick in the shop.

I've made some inquiries; I may be getting it if the folks let me.

7. The ever-humble Jared put it so eloquently... I'm certainly not a "wise one".

The Fortress is a fine bass, and I am sure that Bass Guru's price is more than fair. The Fortress has some "boutique" features like the wenge neck, and a great sound.

That said, if you were buying a Jazz would you still get a fretless? Are you comfortable using a five string? If you've been playing a fretted four string, it is going to take some time to adjust to the differences. If you're expectations are realistic and you're comfortable with the above points, I would go for it!

8. I've only played five strings and fretless-es in the shop, but the time I spend in these places.... ;)
    i am pretty comfortable with the handle of it; I'm really eager to play that sort of bass.

if I got the Fender, i would definitely get it de-fretted - there is nothing better than not having speed-humps on the road ;)

I've asked the folks, and they've given me the green light - I've sent TBG a PM; hopefully he'll get it during this week and we'll start talkin'!!!

w00t!!!:bassist: :D

(can you see the excitement brewing in me already?)