Oh, wise ones.... advise me on my choice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zoroaster03, Apr 25, 2003.

1. I'm seriously thinking about buying a bass off someone here at TB (The Bass Guru, if you MUST know :) ): a Warwick Fortress V string fretless. i really like the look of the bass, and I played one the other day and they sounded very schweet. The one in the shop had flatwounds on it - a four string, but a fretless none the less, and it being the first time I'd played a fretless I'd had even more incentive to buy this one.

Am I making the "right" choice? What i mean by that is, should I buy it now and gets lots out of it, or should i decline, give the opportunity to buy it to others and buy the Fender Jazz i thought I'd wanted so badly? I play jazz, BTW, so any thoughts regarding the style to the bass would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, BTW ;)
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well...you asked for wise ones and got me instead.

I would say to try as much as you can before buying. I mean the best decision is an informed one. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. :confused:

Except for maybe that you don't need to apologize for a post that is 4-5 sentences long. ;)

3. fine then! I take it back! :eek: :D
  4. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i think it should depend on what other basses you already have.
  5. i have a four string fretted; it doesn't have any outstandish characteristics, so I don't think it comes from any sort of "brand". i found it in Cash Converters. it's very heavy and a nice round heavy sound, but it's not what i want for what i'm playing. the Warwick i played on Wednesday was very light -or maybe I'm just used to a heavy bass - and the feel and action was great. Unfortunately they only had one Warwick in the shop.

I've made some inquiries; I may be getting it if the folks let me.
  6. The ever-humble Jared put it so eloquently... I'm certainly not a "wise one".

The Fortress is a fine bass, and I am sure that Bass Guru's price is more than fair. The Fortress has some "boutique" features like the wenge neck, and a great sound.

That said, if you were buying a Jazz would you still get a fretless? Are you comfortable using a five string? If you've been playing a fretted four string, it is going to take some time to adjust to the differences. If you're expectations are realistic and you're comfortable with the above points, I would go for it!
  7. I've only played five strings and fretless-es in the shop, but the time I spend in these places.... ;)
    i am pretty comfortable with the handle of it; I'm really eager to play that sort of bass.

if I got the Fender, i would definitely get it de-fretted - there is nothing better than not having speed-humps on the road ;)

I've asked the folks, and they've given me the green light - I've sent TBG a PM; hopefully he'll get it during this week and we'll start talkin'!!!

w00t!!!:bassist: :D

(can you see the excitement brewing in me already?)