1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Oh Yea, I'm Back On two Wheels! Plus A Question...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Kelly Lee, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well, I went out today and bought me a '92 Honda CBR600 F2. :hyper:

I have been itching for another one since I sold my old bike (RD350) when I moved to AZ. I had no way to transport it out here so off it went. :crying:

My question: Does anyone know of a good motorcycle forum(s) that is the TB equivalent? I have checked out a couple that just really seem rude and the language and attitudes just don't work for me.

Any input is welcome!

2. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Nothing quite like TB. I think TB is unique ... I've been looking for a piano forum with a gregarious community like TB, but it just doesn't exist. I used to spend time at motorcycle.com for the Motorcycle online site. That's reasonably good. But consider that bikers are by nature loners ... riding is a very personal Type A activity, even if you do sit around and talk about it after the fact.

BTW, you should look at the new CBR600RRs. Incredibly comfortable and responsive, particularly if you are just getting off of an F2.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am considering getting another bike this summer, but I still have to convince the better half I need one again. They have a killer ZX-10R at the local Kawie dealer, and I think it should be mine.:)

4. That's because they are piano players.

Oh, and congrats on the new bike, Kelly. But you know the rules, no pics, not real.

Rock on
    Eric

5. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    This is the only pic at the moment.
    [​IMG]

The rest of the fairing is there. There was (is?) a wiring issue with the bike and the guy pulled the fairings and hadn't put them all back on yet. The pics don't show it really but the bike is rough. However, it only has 14k on it and I scored it for $500! :)

6. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Sweet deal! My 2000 GSX-R 600 has wiring issues too - the wiring bundle was being rubbed by the front fork and so some of the wire insulation rubbed off. I'm too lazy to fix it 'cause I picked up a 2003 GSX-R 1000 and am having entirely too much fun on it. Couldn't pass up on the huge discounts on the '03 bikes. I guess they weren't selling too much because of all the other manufacturers bringing out new bikes in '04.
    Be careful on that thing, and make sure you take a rider safety course!

7. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I will be and you do the same!

I'm looking into where I can take MSF course here. I haven't ridden but a couple of times since '97 :eek: and definately could use a refresher on the fundamentals.

BTW, I think I answered my own question. I found the CBR World forums and these guys appear to be a class act. Thanks. :)

sport-smiley-12.

8. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong

The Kwaks are powerful bikes, and I think they are doing great work since they decided to start competing again. They've got a ZX-14 now if you really want to knock yourself out :eek:

9. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    :eek: :eek: :eek: I represent that!

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Theres a part of me thats always wanted to do motorcycles...some part of me is kinda scared too.

But before that happens...crap, I'm 17 and I need my drivers permit...

11. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I can tell you that once you start riding it becomes addictive! I was hooked the first time I rode a little Suzuki RM50 dirtbike.

BTW, being scared of them is a good thing! Well, up to a point anyways. A lot of riders just don't respect the dangers riding presents. Not only do you have to know what you're doing but you have to watch out for the idiots that don't. A small car-to-car collision isn't normally a problem but bike-to-car one could seriously injure or even kill you.

If you want to ride the first thing is get some instruction. Look into finding a MSF course somewhere in your area. If you know someone with a small bike talk to them about getting some saddle time in an empty parking lot or something. Don't be afraid to try it out. Good luck and be safe!

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The first step is admitting it ;).

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Right on Kelly! Just in time for the upcoming nice weather. If your area is anything like mine, street bike prices go up 50-75% when the nice weather comes around. You got it just in time.

-Mike

14. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Woo for bikes! I'll hopefully be getting a moped soon, now that I'm 16. I'll post pictures of the inevitable broken bones and headwounds when they come.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    www.sportbikes.net used to be my favorite.

16. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Heh, it's almost always nice here! :D

Now, I need to sign up for a MSF course to get my M endorsement again and call my insurance company :eek: to add it on my policy. I can't wait! :hyper:

Phil, thanks for the link. I am now registered there! :)

Trog, please get yourself a helmet and other protective gear. Trust me, it is worth it.

17. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh
    Wow!......500$$??? You could have done much worse!!!

Steal!!!

18. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Now I really miss my old bike. Had a couple, a Honda 50,
    a 60's Honda 450, A 72 Triumph Tiger (1 carb), and a
    '77 Kawa 1000LTD that looked like the one below. The guy that
    owns this one says it will turn a low 12 quarter at 109 mph.

I can attest to the fact that this was a great bike. It had
    a top speed of about 138 mph factory geared. I could never get
    it over 140. After a few times, I stopped trying.

The problem here is that Rhode Island drivers are just
    complete and total morons. They never look when changing lanes,
    pull out without looking, weave and generally drive so
    badly that any local riding is based on deathwish. Given that,
    it wasn't any fun, and having suffered a bad bone break in 86
    (not from riding) I had no desire to ever repeat the
    experience.

I agree that a lot of younger riders have very little respect for
    the machines or injuries. There is no helmet law here in RI.
    I ALWAYS wore one. I also aways wore boots. And leather
    jacket and gloves no matter how hot it got. I would not have a right foot
    today if I didn't wear boots.

Seeing people zip down to the beach wearing no helmet,
    a bathing suit, T-shirt and a pair of flips flops at 80-90 mph just makes me shudder.

Two years ago on of those boys was on the grass median.
    He was doing 80 or so and weaving and he lost it. He didn't
    make it I read in the paper.

Yeah, the refresher is a good idea.

Also, I always rode with the attitude that people were
    intentionally trying to kill me.

Stay safe and have fun.

LTD1000a.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That's right, you're in Arizona. I was thinking you are in Indy.

-Mike

20. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I lived in Indy for the first 27 years of my life. Moved out here to AZ in '97.

Funny thing is I actually like the riding areas back in Indiana better than AZ. There are some nice areas here and all but there is just too many long open boring streches of pavement. You really have to get into the parks or mountains to find some beautiful scenery.

Eh, doesn't matter. I'll enjoy it just the same. It will all be kind of new to me again seeing it from two instead of four wheels! :D