Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh yesh. I just got a Smith and it is slamming.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    This is my first "check out what I got" post and I'm quite stoked to do it.

I went to the guitar show in Columbus today. The guys from the Low End were really cool (Daryl Jones and co) as was Bob from the Bass Palace. I played a bunch of basses and was smitten with this Smith (got to play about 4 gorgeous Smiths and a Lakland that absolutely incredible, the Smith was just talking to me.) I'm really glad I came home with it.

I have been looking at old jazz basses as well as higher end stuff, and this BSR just seemed to do it all really well. It gave up awesome, muscular jazz bass tone and brought the noise for slapping, tapping etc. It's kind of like a cross between a jazz bass and a Fodera/Smith sound. I'm totally into it. It plays effortlessly. Plus, it's got kind of a retro Smith vibe to it, with the open coil pickups and gold hardware.

Here's a pic.

I will throw some sound clips up tonight.

Thanks to Bob and all the guys at the show!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  3. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Congrats on the Smith!

That was a great bass.........you will enjoy it.

How do you like the action on it....I set it up pretty low. By the way those are D'addario EXL170s on there. That neck has never needed another adjustment since I set it up.......

I really miss that bass!
    ....and your right it nails that Jazz bass tone.

I'm glad another TB got to pick that up.

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The setup is great! It's perfect. I can dig in for fingerstyle, but it's low enough for double thumbing and the like. I'm playing it right now.

Did you buy it new? Guess I'm just curious where it's been for the last 4 years. Bob said the fingerboard was bubinga, and it does kind of have that tint...but I've never seen a Smith with a bubinga board, so I thought it may just be pau ferro.

Did you compare this one to any others with different wood combinations? Just wondering how they compare. This one has great focus and seems very smooth and even all the way up and down.

Will

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah. We like, we like!!

6. NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE! :D

I know how it feels to have an instrument just talk to you. If you hadn't picked it up it would have been on the back of your mind for a long time. Congrats!

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    LOL,

The bass was talkin'!

Of course, the Mesa Walkabout with Aguilar cabs was also talking to me! I wish the gear would just stop talking!

It's funny, when browsing the web I never looked at Smith BSR's. It kind of falls outside the radar of people looking for jazz bass style instruments, because it isn't styled like a traditional jazz bass. But for me, it's perfect...it's got the look and feel of a handmade with classic jazz sounds, and some retro funkiness thrown in.

I know the GAS will surely return, but I really like this one.

8. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Will,

I was actually the 2nd owner of that bass....The condition you got it in is the same way I got it. The orignal owner never played the bass.

I do beleive that it is a Pau Ferro Fingerboard....according to Ken's site that is what comes standard. It may have been an upgrade at some point.

I never get a chance to compare it with any other smiths....but I will tell you when the time comes I will look for another just like that!

Good luck with it and enjoy!

9. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Hi guys, Get me the serial# of the Bass and I'll let you know if it is Bubinga or Morado/Pau-ferro. The first Js and some of the Ms were made with Bubinga. I just can't be sure from the pic you've posted which one it is.

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Ken, the serial number on my bass is

4J142199V

Any noticable differences between the pau ferro and bubinga tone? They seem pretty similar.

I like the avodire, too. It's bright with good fundamental.

Will

11. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Ok Will, I looked it up and it was as I thought Bubinga.
    The Bubinga tone is a little dryer sounding like rosewood but even more pointy to help the Smith 'J' model sound more 60s like.
    The Morado has a bit more sustain and warmth but sounds more modern that the traditional'J'.
    Alot also has to do with the design of the Bass and the pickups as well. The fingerboard is just one component of many that makes up the sound.

12. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Guys/Gals, Just because i've answered doesn't mean you can't talk anymore about it.
    That seems to be a pattern around here.
    1) someone asks a question.
    2) people discuss it and try to answer it or just talk around it.
    3) I come up to 'fill in the blanks'
    4) people become silent and the thread 'dies' !

Don't be afraid to say what you want to say. I 'am' me, but I am also just one voice.
    Let's hear a few more voices and have a little fun if possible.

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    maybe it needs a little bump!

:D

14. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    Hey Ken,
    Thanks for coming to the thread. I just picked up a BG-BSR6MW last week and have had a great time playing it. I do have a couple questions. One deals with strings. John at Bass Emporium restrung the bass with a Smith Steel Tapper Core set and the bass set up great, probably the best set up I've ever played. But the sound was a little thin on the D,G,C strings while it just killed on the B,E,A. We changed the strings to a set of Fodera Steel strings that where more medium than medium lite and it changed the range a lot but I'm looking for a more open sound not as compressed. What would you recommend?

Second, I'm getting a little bit of a hum when the bass is on but it goes away when I play or wiggle the cable at the input jack. Any suggestions?

All in all this is the easiest playing bass I've ever owned. I can't believe it’s a six string. It's so easy to move from positions and all the registers are accessible with just a slide. And it looks like a million bucks. You definitely build a great instrument and I'm now a believer. I've attached a picture as well.

15. Minimaul

Minimaul

Jun 22, 2003
    Wilbyman:

Did you get that from Ebay? I thought I saw one just like it on Ebay. I was thinking about trying to pick on up. But, I realized that I need a new head/speakers. So I have to wait for a new bass for awhile.

What's the point in having a nice bass if no one can hear you?

Now, I just need to figure out what I want to get.

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I got it from The Bass Palace. Not sure if it was ever on Ebay; DragonBass could probably tell you, as he was the second owner.

I was playing it last night and generally digging the huge number of sounds it produces when I started yanking on knobs to look for taps (just in case.) I didn't know about the passive tap on the volume knob, so I was surprised and elated to find it! The passive switch really brings out the vintage jazz sound in the bass, but that sound still remains when you're running all the controls flat.

Now when you start eq'ing, lookout! It's really flexible.

Will

17. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    That bass was not posted on E-bay. I bought it though a "private collector".

I really don't think he ever played it!
    He owned like 8 Smiths!

18. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    hmjuice, Give me a call next week after I return from Namm. I will need to see the Bass to get it back up to par like when it was new. It's a bit difficult to trouble shoot things long distance.

19. You bought that at the Columbus Guitar Show?!?!:eek: I really need to go next time! I live in Columbus too...:(