1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

O'Hagan truss rod nut stripped. ugh!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheEnthBass, Apr 22, 2010.

1. TheEnthBass

TheEnthBass

Apr 9, 2010
    Connecticut
    The bass I'm working on is an O'hagan 79-80. Anyone worked with these? At any rate the allen wrench side of the truss rod not is stripped. I was able to remove the truss rod nut, and the truss rod is in other wise working condition but due to the rarity of the guitar I'm doubtful that I can locate a new nut. This guitar was passed down to me by my father and it's really a nice instrument so I want to get it back up and running. How do I find or create a new nut? I had someone at a machine shop try to find something with the same threading but they were unsuccesful. If I can find the right threading i can have one built but I havent had any luck with that as of yet. Has anyone encountered a problem like this and had success? Does anyone know anything about O'hagans and where to find parts or specs?

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Take the nut to Home depot or any home store and use the bulk bins to find a match, you may have to use the specialty trays to find, it's most likely 3/16" or 6mm, this is the area you need to be looking. 5-6-7-8 mm or 5/32" - 7/32"....good luck.

2nd possibility is to cut cross slots to use like an old fender TR nut

3rd if you find the correct size look to Stew Mac or LMii for a replacement nut, or McMaster Carr.

3. TheEnthBass

TheEnthBass

Apr 9, 2010
    Connecticut
    Thnx. I'll give that a shot

4. TheEnthBass

TheEnthBass

Apr 9, 2010
    Connecticut
    Ok so I found a bolt that fit my damged truss nut. It was in fact 6mm and after contacting Mcmaster Carr and Stew Mac and a few other places the only place I have found with an M6x1.00 truss nut is in the netherlands and doesnt do direct orders. My father fortunately works in metal and I think he is going to have one fabricated for me. The cross cut idea would be a good temporary fix but because the metal at the end of the nut is aging poorly It would likely be only a short time before I destroyed it. If anyone knows where to get a truss nut m6x1.00 let me know.

5. vejesse

vejesse

Apr 8, 2006
    Madison, Wi
    Double Bass Workshop
    The Netherlands? M6 x 1 is standard. Any real hardware store is going to have some kind of M6 x 1 nut. However, it's likely you might have to alter the nut or make a part. In that case find someone who runs a lathe.

6. TheEnthBass

TheEnthBass

Apr 9, 2010
    Connecticut
    It's really a matter of finding a m6x1 with the right dimensions to get in to the hole provided without having to mod the guitar. If I'm going to have a nut modified I may as well have built out of something that will last forever.

7. marcinski

marcinski

Jun 21, 2006
    chicago, ill