Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ohhhh how I hate to admit this...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ...but I'm really starting to get into Creed. Nuff said.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ew, dude. Ew.

Then again, I can't really say anything -- I did make a Hanson thread a while ago...

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Are you related to Kerry?

4. It could be worse; you could be into Creed and Hemmingway!!
    good luck,
    -eric

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Drum roll, anyone? :D

+1 on Hemmingway ;).

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Don't worry Joe, it'll pass soon enough.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Nothing wrong with Creed.

8. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    As soon as the guys in the white coats fit you into your tailored long sleeve jacket. Be sides you'll love the soft room they will put you in, as they begin your reeducation program. :bag: :ninja: ;) :p :D

9. Heres the thing that bothers me, I've heard so many people trash creed. But when you stop and look at the musicians in that band, well I guarantee you if you ask anyone they will tell you that Mark Tremonti is a saint on guitar, and Brian Marshall on bass, well to say the least I love EVERY one of his bass lines in their songs they are just so fun and addicting to play. Scott Phillips, well he is also a saint on the drums, doing things that some drummers wish they could do. I personally wish i could play like brian marshall, well not like him but on the same level. I like to think im getting there.

I'm in in no way praising them, I just hate how people constantly trash such good musicians.

Jared

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Is anyone else kind of weirded out by the word "saint" used in this context? I mean, just in the way that I've never heard it used in that way before.

That said, it is oddly appropriate given the band in question.

11. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    I really didn't see any one in this thread trashing creed. Most of us are teasing Joe as he is not someone you would expect to get into creed.
    Personally I don't trash any music. If it's not to my taste it may be to yours. Musicians you may think are great others may not like. It's all subjective. So just become one with the force and let the tempo carry you where it may.

Rusty

12. No no rusty, I'm not saying this thread in particular, I just meant in general I've seen many people many a times trash creed and rip into their music. I apologize I should have been more specific in my post, as I didn't mean to come off as a jerk lol. Oh and aaron sorry for my use of saint lol, I'm a little tired as it is and its the first thing that came to mind haha.

Jared

13. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    I figured that. I'm just trying to keep this thread on the topic. Namely picking on Joe.
    Besides trying to stop any flame wars.

Rusty :)

14. Totally understandable Rusty, I hate flame wars just as much as the next guy. But man way to make myself look like a fool haha. Anyways back on topic, I'd have to say Joe should definatly keep up the interest, also check out the song Young Grow Old by creed, very fun to play, again just my 2 cents:)

Jared

15. Isnt Jesus in that band?

16. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    What got you so into them? Does someone you know listen to them a lot? Or is this a conscience decision to give them a chance? If the latter, then, frankly, pretty much any music sounds 'better' the more you hear of it.

I'm in no position to mock, I have 4 Barenaked Ladies albums in my collection, along with Boston and Queen.

17. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    So here's my story... several years ago I was in a cover band that did a couple of creed songs. One of the guys gave me a CD to learn them and I never gave it back. He didn't care - he owns something like 60 Ernie Ball guitars, and I'm not exaggerating. He bought me a P-deluxe when I was in the band. I paid him off for it though cuz I didn't want it as a gift... anyway, this ain't about him or my stealing his CD, it's about Creed.

So, I really liked playing the songs we did back then. I thought they were heavy and really fun to play, but at the time I really couldn't handle Scott Stapp. From time to time though I'd pop the CD in and secretely liked it. As I started really listening, the songs started to really touch me. Arms Wide Open in particular. Take the video and Scott's ego out of the picture and I think that's one of the most beautiful songs ever written. The video is just plain stupid and I can't watch the guy, but the song is about him finding out his wife or girlfriend or whatever is pregnant - and I think it's beautiful. Yeah, yeah - I know, he and she broke up, and you can probably say lots of crappy things about the guy being hypocritical and stuff - but the sentiment was there when he wrote it. If I wrote that song I'd be damned proud of it.

I also like that they sang about super positive stuff, and they weren't afraid to put it out there just as they saw it, and be their honest selves. They worked really hard, they believed in themselves, they recorded their first album on their own, and they became a HUGE success story. They never left their indie label either and they could have easily sold out to the majors.

Yeah - I like these guys.

I don't get the Hemmingway stuff? Please explain, and my Kerry question had to with a friend who shares the same last name as Aaron - but I guess they've got a pretty common last name.

18. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    There's nothing wrong with liking Creed. Or any other band if they touch you.
    I always thought "I did it my way" should have been creeds motto. I have to respect them for the way they did their own thing.
    Now members of the band and personality is a subject I won't touch. Just because I like the music don't mean I like the members. There have been several bands I've worked with that were great. But I would have cheerfully tar and feathered some of the members.

More I could say but I've got to run for three hours of playing later all.

Rusty

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Check the "Bassists who don't like Jaco" thread about the Hemmingway thing. And I might be related to this person...I have no idea! I don't know any family from the "Saunders" side -- most of 'em live way across the country in BC. I wouldn't be surprised if I had a cousin or two in New Yawk though.

20. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    If you do she's living in Maine now, and she's one of the finest women I know. I think I got the greatest massage of my life from her - but don't tell my GF. They were both massage therapists at the time and of course nobody gives a better massage than my girl.