Ohhhhh no

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MStrianese, Jan 30, 2009.

1. MStrianese

MStrianese

Jul 26, 2008
    New York
    :rollno: So I just restrung and low and behold I cut my A string a tiny bit to short, and I mean a tiny bit. It's not fully descending into the groove in the nut and when I switch from a higher string (D or G) if i push up on the A string it pushes it out of the groove, new a string already? :bawl:

2. MStrianese

MStrianese

Jul 26, 2008
    New York
    Well, I cut it too short, on the old string goes.

3. I cut mine 3 1/2" to 4" past the post

4. www.juststrings.com has a single string section with many of the popular brands. Just go there and order a replacement string.

5. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    You didn't say "how short" in terms of how many wraps you can get around the post with the short string. The issue you describe with the nut is because the break angle of your string over the nut is not sufficient. I suspect what you have is perhaps one or one and a half wraps on the post? Most times A strings don't have a string T to increase the break angle over the nut. If you have a long enough string to make many wraps around the post, the upper winds should press the string down low on the post, making the break angle good. Why don't you try this- insert the string into the center hole of the post, and make a wrap, then see if there is enough left to go OVER that wrap like an X which will cause the first wrap to be held under the second wrap. If you don't have enough string for that, you could jury-rig up a splice but that is pretty iffy and you'd likely get major tuning issues. Best solution is to buy a new string. I usually only trim my E string. I get about 4 wraps on the E, A and D, and 3 wraps on the G.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021