ohhhhhh, Amp troubles :(

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Si-bob, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Ok, so i need a new amp, and i'v tried a few, Trace Elliots, Warwicks, Ashdowns, Ampegs. Trouble is, i love the ampeg (350h and 410HLF), but its a little expensive, the cab is only 4 ohms and its quite stocky. I'm not sure what to do, cos i want something that is fairly versatile and portable, i had been looking to try and hartke VX 410 & 115 setup, but nowhere does them near me. my prefered setup would be a 410 and a 115, but i have been looking at 210 and 115, or like the apmeg a sinlge 410 (but cos its the HLF, it sounds like a 115 aswell)

a question i wondered is about the amp sounds, if i love the ampeg, and put an ashdown head through the ampeg cab am i gonna get the same sound, or is it the head defining the sound....cheers

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Both amp and cabinet contribute to the sound (along with everything from fingers to ears). Some amps (and cabinets) have a more distinctive "voice" than others. You have to find gear that you're happy with for your sound and application.

No wonder so many of us suffer from G.A.S pains all the time.

Good luck!!!
  3. thats true, but the ampeg sound has more to do with the amp (or pre-amp) than the cab, you can still get the growl with other cabs.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have had an off-again-on-again love affair with Ampeg since I started playing. My first big amp was an SVT. I later bought a SS version of an SVT and have messed with a couple of Ampeg pres.

IME, with both cabinets and amplifiers, for better or worse, nothing sounds like Ampeg except Ampeg.

5. Thanks for your replies guys
    i suppose really, its my budget holding me back, i only really want to spend about £1200 (£1400 if really pushing it) and outa that i want a decent 300 watt (or roundabouts) head, a 410 or big sounding 210 and a 115. like i said, locally all i can find is some old ashdowns, the ampeg stuff, a warwick stack (wasn't impressed) and a trace stack (bit wary of their business status at the mo)
    I foned the bass centre in wapping to see what they had, and they'v got some ashdowns, warwicks and edens, so i'm goin there on thurs, anyone been there really recently???? they got anything great?