Ohio Bassist Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Auzzie-Phoenix, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Guitar Guys on 30th Street in Newark...

Anyone been?

It's been quite a while since I've had to go to Newark for anything (even though I live 20 minutes away). Was passing through a few nights ago and saw this place. I would have stopped but they were closed. :atoz:

2. I've been there when it was in a little shop down a little access rd. off 79. They've since moved into a bigger shop and I haven't been to the new place yet. From what I know about them is that they were the old crew from Sheets and Sons over there by the mall before there was an awful deal that went down when John Sheets sold the place to the new buyer. The new buyer pretty much forced John out of the building and fired the entire crew so he could hire people for less money and get cheaper gear in there. John and a few guys started up Guitar Guys and it has since destroyed the competition between S&S. No one goes to S&S anymore except mom's buying their kids their first instrument. In fact, someone said that it had moved or closed down all together. Either or, I've got to get over to Newark and check out the new shop. They've got Fender, G&L, Ibanez, etc., at least they did in the older shop.

3. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    I didn't see it; I think it's gone.

I would have gone today if it weren't for the weather. I need strings. I called around to see who would have what I wanted. No one. Really, how hard is it to stock a 5-string set, nickel, light to medium-light gauge, with a taperwound B? It's not like I'm asking for anything specif...oh...wait...

Looks like I have to go to Columbus for them. :rolleyes:

4. Or you could get them online from here.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Safe and sound from Nashville, just in case anyone cares!

6. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    I don't really shop online, especially when it's something I can get TODAY by walking into a store. I just didn't want to go anywhere today, i'm lazy. :p

7. Hey guys, should we start planning another Cinci GTG for this March again? We started doing it last year about this time...?

8. That's cool. Same place?

9. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments

Good point.

10. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Cinci GTG? Phew.. thats a long drive for me.. But Im sure I could talk my dad into it. Heck, I could possibly just drive myself.

11. No! No one does but that's cool. Glad you're alive, I guess.:rolleyes:

:p:D

12. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
  13. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the old Sheets & Sons is gone now. I tried stopping by several weeks ago before a gig...

Just fyi, it might be worth sending an e-mail to Pete Skjold. His workshop is about 25 miles from Mt. Vernon. His strings are nickel-plated steel in gauges 45-65-80-100-128 with a tapered B-string. I have them on my Hanewinckel at the moment. They seem like nice strings to me. Of course, right now, Pete is busy preparing for NAMM....

14. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Nov 1, 2009
    Geneva Ohio
    Howdy Folks,

I'm in NE Ohio. Ashtabula County,Geneva TWP.

15. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA

I used to gig and hangout at Headstones Bar, which Im pretty sure is somewhere near where you are..

IIRC. ;)

16. papzita if your looking for strings just strings does have the best prices. only reason i dont get mine through there is i dont like ordering small stuff like that online too. that and i have a friend that buys them bulk.

and whats this about a get-together? did everyone go somewhere without me last year? screw you guys i hate you all.

17. just kidding. but for real what is this you speak of? i live in mason on the edge of cincy if im free id love to go

18. Click on this thread. All the info is there.

19. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Nov 1, 2009
    Geneva Ohio
    Gee whiz......guess I don't get a number. LOL

20. Auzzie-Phoenix does that part. Does he still give out numbers? I forget but he's the guy to talk to.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.