1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ohio flooding........

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks to those who PM'ed about the flooding....BOTH of you lol. Feels nice to be loved. I am in the brunt of it all in Findlay Ohio.

It's been an insane past few days. I live out of town and am fine, but have been in the brunt of things for the past few days helping out family and friends when I can.

We've had an insanely dry summer this far, pretty much a drought. That is, up until about sunday. We got hammered. It started about 5:30am Tuesday when my mom called me freaking out, as she had just heard from my brother. He lives in a small town South of Findlay called Arlington. They received heavy rains which caused local flooding. At the time he had called my mom, both of his cars were up to the bottom of the body in water, and wakes were within inches of coming in his front door.

We were to make our debut on the lake erie island of put in bay tuesday and wednesday. After getting this call, I made the decision to call the club, and cancel our shows for tueday and wednesday night. There was no way for me to get to them, so I just went back to sleep. About noon, I got a call from the bro saying that the flash flooding had gone down, and that we were going to go ahead and do the gigs. He got lucky, he was spared...but his in-laws have lost their home, everything they own, and have worked their entire lives for. He later called the club to tell them we were on our way, but they had already found someone else. I kind of felt like a dick, like I had jumped the gun, and gave away our gigs for nothing. I told my singer who owns a music store in town, that all of that water is going to be heading somewhere....and that I'd suggest he gets the stuff out of there. He and some friends got all of the guitars out, and everything off of the floor. He felt he was being overly cautious, at that.

About midnight, he called and said there was about three inches of water in the store, and that I should come join him and the nino's (local hot spot club, and good friends of ours) crew right across the street from the music store to come watch the water rise. I had nothing to do the next day, and being a night owl by nature.....I said why not.

I got there about 12:30, and the water was rising at a staggering pace, matching or breaking the record set in 1913, or something around then. About 2am with the water appearing to be about 3 feet deep, I told my bud who owned the music store, that we NEEDED to go in and pick up everything in there that was not yet gotten out. There was a LOT more stuff in there than he thought he had left. We found a couple trash cans, and used them to fill up with equipment, then float the cans outside with us to the truck sitting in water. About 3 grand worth of stuff from trash cans, dumped any which way into the back of a pickup. About an hour and a half in thigh deep water/sewage, we had everything out.
    Side topic.....you know one more think I learned to hate? Sight see-ers. Some stupid hipped pieces of **** sat on the dry side of the street using us for their entertainment for an hour or so, then had the balls to ask me for a smoke when I trenched out of the sewage head to toe. "F*** you" pretty much summed it up for them. I ended up having a great time calling people names before this was all said and done, and it was quite therapeutic.

Shortly after we had the store cleaned out, our bro's right across the street were up to about 7 feet deep in water in the basement, despite two large pumps running non stop. About this time, all of the media started showing up. We have all been on Toledo TV, plus CNN, CBS national news, and this morning Good Morning America.

We spent the night at Nino's doing anything we could to help keep the water at bay. Through the course of the night, we saw all kinds of crazy things....someone trying to drive a van through 6 feet of water, two people trying to wade through the currents that moved said van 30 feet.....they got ate by the river. Search and rescue crowds never found them. I was one of two eye witnesses of this that saw the entire events from start to finish.

As of late yesterday afternoon, the water has been receding, and is back into the river where it belongs along main street anyway. I didn't go sight seeing, or any place else where I didn't belong, unlike all the other assholes.

I showed up to the music store later this afternoon to help clean out after the water had receded away from the store area. In between drinking mass amounts of beer, we managed to get all of the floor out, and some of the outside wall. National guard is coming by in the morning to pick up as much debris as possible, so we tried to get as far ahead as we could. The building owners have no insurance, so we're doing this by ourselves. I don't know that it is doable though....some of the foundation washed away, and the floor joists are so screwed up a few broke walking across them. I got a sandal full of poo covered water.....awesome.

Tired of the sight see-ers posing for pictures in front of other people's devastation, bringing their kids down to a national disaster then yelling at us for swearing.....we made some comedy by writing on the front winows - "no insurance, accepting donations for rebuild" I later added "beer okay". Next door is a copy machine dealer that still hasn't even shown up. I wrote on theirs "We have insurance, and aren't doing S***!"

My brother sold all of his gear he owns to help out his in-laws, and has gotten a lot of help from the music manufacturing community he is affiliated with to help as well.

2. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Some pics taken during the final late night evacuation of the store at 3am. It rose about a foot higher before receding. I am going to post these, check out the tivo where our singer/store owner was interviewed on the news tonight, then head to bed to tackle more of this tomorrow.

1676gearsource1.

5036gearsource2. 8127gearsource3. 4202gearsource6. 3333gearsource5.

3. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Are your basses okay?:)

4. holy **** man, thats a lot of water!

5. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Good vibes sent your way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

I hope everything comes out OK for you guys!

6. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    On second thought, tim.... i wont be moving out to findlay. That places looks hella lame right now.

Anyways.

I didn't even realize that findlay was hit until i saw it on the news about 20 minutes ago...

Glad your OK.

Don't really care about pat, though.

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Are you peeing on that nice geo metro in the next to last picture?

Oh, and hope everything turns out all right... Sucks that this happened and I totally feel you on a-holes that show up to look at other people suffering with out helping out... But hey, screw them in their tight rearholes... Good luck man...

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Good luck down there. I think I saw on the news this morning that the river has crested, so hopefully things will slowly improve for you.

9. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Glad to hear that you're safe, Tim. Good luck and I hope things are safe from here on out.

10. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    That's the singer in my band that owns the store.

And....yes :)

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Tim, Keep us informed. It sounds like their calling for more thunderstorms today. I've been on the road. We had some minor flooding in the south end of the Detroit area. But it was all south of me. The middle of MI got hit pretty hard too.

Steve

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Sorry bro. I saw the pictures last night. I came here this morning to send you a PM, but it looks like you got it covered.

As far as the "sight seers", humans are naturally attracted to other peoples tragedies. I'm sure you saw this to an even greater scale when you were down in New Orleans. I know I sure did.

-Mike

13. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yeah, when I was down there last night, the water had all gone back into the river....at least where we were at on Main St. They actually reopened main last night as well.

Heh, I wasn't meaning to be taken serious bitching about the PM's, sorry. In N.O. people cashed in on the idiots selling shirts, etc. Why not?

The ones that really pissed us off were the ones cutting through our work areas getting in the way, riding bikes over the pump hoses, etc. We had a yuppie family come up at about 4:30 am.....woke the kids up to come see all the action, get in the way, then had the nerve to yell at some of the guys I was with for their language in front of their childrens sensitive ears. Really, what did they expect?

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    So did you drive by Ben Roethlisberger's crib to make sure he was OK too? :D

-Mike

15. Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    He lives in p-burg now. He still comes into his friends bar, Nino's once in a while though. As soon as his sis graduates, he's moving them all there too.

Ben has turned into a bit of a dick anyway. His best friend, and teammate through highschool and college, Mike Iriti works at Nino's.....he's Nino's brother. Last time Ben came in, he called Nino to let them know he was coming, to kick people out of a table for him and his posse, and walked right past Mike like he didn't even know him. He's also in the past called Outback on their busiest time on Friday night, and demanded a table for 30 for him by the time he gets there....rude to the waitresses (one I am good friends with), etc.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Blasphemy! :D

Yeah, people change when they get money and popularity. They also change as they get older. I can think of some of the guys I ran with in high school and how I thought these guys would be my friends for life. At this point, I don't hang out with any of them. When I see them around town, neither of us make any effort to buddy up.

-Mike

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Unfortunately, I think that the worst is probably yet to come for many folks. The cleanup is going to be long, and smelly. :rollno:

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Fremont is down river from where most of the flooding is, but our city has a floodwall (built after the last really bad flood of 1913 - which is the one they keep comparing this one to), so our city is high and dry. Even though I live on the Sandusky River, my house itself is deceptively high relative to the land on the other side of the river, so there is no flood problems in my house. My dock, however, is probably four three to four feet underwater at this point.

Here are some shots for perspective. The first shows my boat at the dock at a point in time where the water is on the high side of normal. The next one shows it when the waters were about two feet over the dock. I moved it after that, of course. :smug: And it went up another foot and a half to two feet above where it is in that shot.

IMG_2786.

148_4801.

Of course, this is nothing compared to what Findlay saw, and my thoughts and prayers definitely go out to Tim and his buds and all those folks in Findlay and the surrounding areas who got hit so hard.

Tim, did you share your 'Toledo 11 story'? :scowl:

Tom.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Perhaps we can set up something to send some support to those in Findlay? Not just Tim, but it could start with him.

I'm down for a donation of goods or cash. Anyone else?

-Mike