Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ohio luthiery in review

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by prelims222, Jan 22, 2005.

1. prelims222

prelims222

Sep 20, 2004
    Southeast US
    Took a trip on down to the Bass Cellar yesterday to get my setup fixed up. Between the big scoop and the high string height, things haven't been quite right lately. Anyways, the bass is now in much better shape, and I had enough cash leftover to pick up some strings.

BUT, the reason I wanted to post this was to let everyone know that Nick Lloyd's new bass has some serious cajones behind it. It's much prettier in person too. All in all, I found it pretty easy to play and had a nice vibrant sound. My only issue with it was that the E-String didn't speak with the same ease that the other strings did (alas..).. but it sure spoke well anyways.

Chris Robert's new bass is also something to behold - its a more honey like finish, and has some elegant inlay work near the button. It had more of a 'smooth' sound than the 'vibrancy' of Nick's, but was also very easy to play.

Andy's Prescott-copy truly is a cannon, and is surprisingly easy to get around on, given its size. Would it be perfect for anything? Depends on what you consider perfect, but quite the bass.

I still am not crazy for Jakstadts - their tone just doesn't get me going. The Lakeberg isn't there - I believe Lauren Bell purchased it - but Bill Just won a Gold at the VSA this year, so he's doing decent work too.

If you get the chance, check these instruments out sometime.

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks; the check's in the mail.
    :D

3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Nnick? Yeah - he does alright. :smug:

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny

Ya know, Nick does some pretty elegant set-up work too.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I'll definitely vouch for that.

6. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    To comment on prelims original post, Andy Stetson, Chris Roberts, Bill Lakeberg, and myself all finished instruments in the same month. It wasn't planned that way; it just kind of happend. There must be something in the water in Cincinnati; this towns just breeds bass makers... like mosquitos, but bigger and friendlier.

7. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Alot bigger, I think of Cincy as "tall town".

I haven't seen Nnick's bass in person, but I have several pictures of it, and I think you guys would dig the carving job. I'm not a player, so it's the carving that turns me on in a bass. Nnick, can I post the pics of the scroll and heel/button of the '04? I think they're worth sharing with the group for sure.

8. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ummm, I think they were already posted back in September or October...

9. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I saw one of the first ones at the Richmond ISB. It truly is a cannon.

Anyone know if he has made any of these in a five-string version.