ohm and watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Sep 18, 2000.

1. do all cabinets have both an ohm value and a wattage amount? does an 8ohm cab also have a watt amount?
  2. Both refer to the speaker(s) contained in the cabinet. The Watts is the amount of signal the sreakers can handle for a sustained amount of time which is not to be confused with Peak Watts which is what the speaker can handle for a short burst. Ohms is the amount of resistance the speakers have. The higher the Ohms the more the resistance. This information is relavent to the Amp. Refer to previous Threads & Posts for more detailed info from the likes of Joris.
  3. then would the wattage relate back to what the head unit of controling the cab is?
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The power (watts) is equal to the current (amperes) squared times the resistance (or impedance) of the cab. Or, the power is equal to the current times the voltage. Now do you get it?
  5. levowen

Aug 30, 2000
    I think I know what you're askin.. Watts is used when describing head and speaker.. but so is ohms.. so watts on your amp would be how much the amp will out and watts on the speaker is how much you can pound it before you get the muffled floppy sound. Ohms is on both two.. and they are all different.. I've seen setups in 4ohm and 8 ohm hookups for the speakers.. maybe that didn't clear anything up but I'll stick with it.. =]