ohm and wiring question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lil'bass, Jan 24, 2004.

1. this is my first post and cab building experience. Im building an 8x10. I have a Ampeg SVT3-PRO head with an output of 450 watss at 4 ohms and 275 at 8 ohms. It has two jack outputs(wired in parallel). If i wired the cab as 2 4x10s down to 8 ohms each, could i run both outputs at 275 watts? Would this relieve the amplifier a little? Hope this makes sense its not my area of expertise....yet!
  2. Your question makes sense, don't worry.

Your amp is (am I correct?) a 1-channel amp, with two parallel outputs, supplying 450 watts at 4 ohms and 275 watts at 8 ohms.

You want to connect, in effect, 2 8 ohms cabinets, so this will give you a total impedance of 4 ohms. The amp is mono, and has both output in parallel, so with that load of 4 ohms, the amp puts out 450 watts at maximum, each cab receiving 225 watts.

Wiring the cab to be 4 ohms total gives you the same result, and 1 cable less to hook up.

Might I add, that building a cabinet is a science in itself, and if your knowledge about cabinet design is as elaborate as your knowledge about wiring, you're gonna end up with a mediocre sounding cabinet. Unless you're building from a plan and use the exact prescibed speakers.... :(

Do yourself a favour and dig a little into the subject. And ask around on TalkBass!
  3. kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    What Joris said.

With one addition: If you are determined to build your own, why not make (2) 410s instead? Much easier to move, more versatile, slightly more impressive when stacked together.
  4. Yep, you can't just luck into a good sounding cabinet from scratch, trust me, I learned the hard way. :D If you still want to build your own, the most foolproof thing is to build a sealed cab, which is what an SVT cab is anyway, and that way you don't have to worry about screwing up the tuning of the port.

5. lil'bass, you have mail.