1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ohm Confusion!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalloid, Feb 4, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    I have been plaing guitar and drums for a long while now, but now that I am becoming more active in playing bass, I need to know more about Ohms.

I understand a small amount of info, but can someone help me out?

Thanks

Joe

(sorry for the stupid question in advance)

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Hey Joe

Thats a broad question so a broad answer plus some guesses as to why you asked.[​IMG]

Ohms is a measure of resistance.

A solid state amplifier will dish out say 200w into 4 ohms but only approx 140w into 8 ohms. Naughty amp makers will say an amp is 200w but forgeting to tell you that you need another cabinet. Valve amps will have a rocker switch or old ones will have a two prong pin to select impedance.

So our combo is running at 8 ohms until you plug in an 8 ohm extension. however hook up a 4 ohm cab instead and its running below 4 ohm which could wreck the amp.

So before you decide to buy or hook up amps and cabs ask, its cheaper. [​IMG] (I love these smily's)

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Yeah,they really are naughty,those amp makers.

4. Ok, for the demonstration, you have a 300w head.

Into a 4 Ohms cabinet, you will use 300w.

Into an 8 Ohms cabinet, you will only use 170w, because the electrical resistance is greater. So less watts will pass into it.

If you hook up 2 8 Ohms cabinets, you will have a the equivelent (from the heads point of view) of a 4 Ohms cabinet, because something happens in the head. So when you hook up 2 8 Ohms, you will use your full 300w.

I hope I'm right.