Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ohm excitement!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Iritan, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Okay, I have a question I think I know the answer to, but anyway. If I have two speakers and I want to run it at 4 ohms, I use two eights right, and plug them both in the four ohm section?

2. 2 x 8 ohm speaker cabs combine to make a 4 ohm load
    2 x 4 ohm cabs = 2 ohms
    4 x 8 ohm cabs = 2 ohms

3. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Using two 8 ohm speakers, wired in parallel, will cause the amp to see a 4 ohm load.

What is the "four ohm section" that your plugging into?

4. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    On the back of the Aguilar DB750 there are 6 inputs. Two for 2 ohms, two for 4 ohms, and 2 for 8 ohms. Unless I'm mistaken. I planning on buying that and two stacks, and I want to do it corectly the first time.

5. From the Aguilar website, the DB750 has these outputs: "Two Neutrik Speakon speaker outputs, one Jenson XLR balanced output (-32dB pre- and post-EQ) with a ground lift switch, and one 1/4" jack preamp output." You'll be using the Speakon outputs to drive your cabinet.

Basically, when you plug in a cabinet to your amp, the impedance of the cabinet pushes against the power amp section of the amp. The higher the impedance, the more it "pushes back," so to speak. So, it doesn't need output jacks for separate impedances as the amp just "feels" it has less or more to push against and does so accordingly.

6. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Do you have an old version? Everything I've read states there are two NL4 speakon connectors for the output to the speakers.

7. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Yeah, what he said....

8. I don't think plugging 2 8o cabs into the 4o section of your amp is the way to go. Plug ONE 8o cab into the 4o output and then plug the other 8o cab into the back of the first. Piggyback. Only way I've ever done it. Been wrong before, will be again. :oops:

9. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Okay thanks guys, I think I got it.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You sure thats the DB 750? I've only seen it with 2 outputs before, but what you describe sounds just like my Mesa 400+, and to wire that with 2 8 Ohm cabs you plug each into a 4 Ohm or you just plug 1 into the 4 and the other into the first cab.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think you're talking about a db 728, which is their discontinued tube power amp.

if that's the case, if you are using two 8 ohm cabs yes you'd want to plug them both into the 4 ohm outputs or daisy chain them together and plug into the 4 ohm output

solid state amps (like the 750 which has a SS power section) don't have seperate speaker outs for different impedances.