Ohm help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chrisnyr, Mar 22, 2011.

1. chrisnyr

chrisnyr

Feb 28, 2011
    If I run 2 8 ohm cabs in series then another 8 ohm with it will my head go up in flames? My head can run 2 ohm .

2. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Virtually all speaker outputs and cabinets are wired in parallel, not series, so unless you've rewired them yourself, this is almost certainly the case here. The only exception I'm aware of is the Eden Nemesis combo, the extension speaker jack of which is wired in series (there may be others, of course).

With that in mind, 3 x 8 ohm cabinets connected in parallel provides a total impedance of 2.67 ohms, which should be safe for your head.

3. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... and that way, all 3 should be getting the same input ... just to be on safe side, with the 'flavor' of your question, are you sure you have a 2 ohm capable head? what brand/model is it?

... Growler has you covered with the explanation, but you will need to be 'daisy chaining' at least two of the cabs, as your amp probably only has two external jacks for speakers .. but that is not a problem, as long as at least one of the cabs has 2 input jacks ..

IF you were to do as your original question asks, and run two cabs in 'series' and then the other straight into the head, you will be running a higher final impedance than the 2.67 suggested (less power), and also depending on speakers within each cabinet, probably uneven power dispersal to each cab/speaker (unless that is your intention, may not be a desirable thing) ... JMHO

4. chrisnyr

chrisnyr

Feb 28, 2011
    I have a SWR 350, I'm not planning on blasting her to bad I just wanted to do for fun :D

5. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Well, that head can run at 2 ohms (although your manual "recommends" running at 4 ohms), so you could run 3 x 8 ohm cabinets. It makes no difference whether you daisy chain them all or run one from each speaker out on the head and chain a third from one of the others.

It looks like we should all just ignore the "series" gaffe.....

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021