ohm hookup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cobrasneverdie, Jun 6, 2003.

1. im looking for a new bass rig (most of you know this because i have posted multiple threads on heads cabs ect... well anyway i was looking at getting 2 avatar 2x10 cabs (for portability) and was wondering how i would hook theese up to get 4 ohms (i can get either 4or8 ohm cabs)i know i need to hook 2 8ohm cabs in parrelel but how do i hook them in parralel?
  2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    You would just daisy chain two 8 ohm cabs together. Cabs have pairs of input jacks, you'd run a cable from your amp into the top input and then run a second cable from the second input into the other cab.
  3. wouldn't running 2 cabs directly from the head (2 outputs on the head) and putting each from the output on the amp into the imput on the cab give me 4ohms? or would that be 16
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For parallel you can do EITHER:

1. Head to cab, then from cab to cab; or

2. Head to cab, then head to other cab.

Both will get you 4 ohms.

If you want 16 ohms, you'd have to have a special cable that would split the positive/negative sends differently, in a "Y" fashion to the cabs.
  5. Eric is indeed correct, either way gives you the desired impedance.

The Peavey website has a number of excellent articles. One of them explains damping factor and the article says that it's best to run from the amp to each cab with an individual cable (amp to cab one, amp to cab two), rather than one cable from the amp to cab one and a second cable from cab one to cab two. Makes sense but I've done it both ways and I'm not real sure if it matters all that much for lower power setups.