ohm load help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sexymexi11, Aug 9, 2009.

1. sexymexi11

sexymexi11

Aug 9, 2009
    Hey guys, my first post, been lurking around here checking things out, learning u know. I have a bit of a problem. I've been playing bass for 2 yrs and guitar for 14. But my problem now is that i was given another cab for my bday. So my rig is, peavey millenium>SWR Bass 350> Eden 212 and the new GK 115.

The eden is 4 ohm, and the GK is 8. Would there be much of a problem running both these cabs with this amp? I tried it out just to see what it sounds like, and its nice, but the amp gets really hot. Its fan also doesn't work right now, new one is in the mail now, but it never got that hot running just the eden cab.

I've been searching on here for an answer for an hour and i can't find anything, so any help or insight would be much appreciated.

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Having those cabs in parallel will present a 2.67-ohm load to the amp. If that amp says "4 ohm minimum," then you can't do this. Check the manual or the SWR web site.

3. First off, I wouldn't be running the SWR until you get a new fan. It'll overheat and start screwing up.

Second off, how many ohms can your head take? If it can do 2 ohms then it shouldn't be a problem, once the fan is fixed. if it's 4 ohms then stick with the Eden only or trade it in for an 8 ohm cab. 8 ohms + 4 ohms= 2.66 ohms, and that's too low for an amp that can only take a 4 ohm load.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, IF the head will only go to 4 ohms safely, you can ONLY use the 212. If you like the 15, sell off the 212, and get another 15, or even a 210 @ 8 ohms. That'll match up better and be safer for your amp. Of course, if the amp will do 2 ohms, then all is well, just get the fan fixed or it'll heat up in flames eventually.

5. sexymexi11

sexymexi11

Aug 9, 2009
    lol i'll try to avoid the flames. but cool so i'll just run them in parallell cause its 2 ohm stable. I have been trying to find a buyer for the GK 15 and replace it with and eden 15. but i have another old 80's peavey amp i've been using as well, and it barely heats up running both those cabs even a 2 hr gig in a hot bar.. i'll start running them in parallel and i got a fan on order and i shoudl be able to put it in next week. thanks guys

6. sexymexi11

sexymexi11

Aug 9, 2009
    thanks again guys, found a fan and i fixed it up today had to do a little modding to make it fit just right, but its got lots of airflow, so i'm stoked. Also dropped by the musicians friend distribution and got a hella deal on a pair of 3 ft 12 guage monster 500 speaker cables. Its crazy how much u can save working the used or blemished Mfriend items. Thanks again for your help i appreciate it.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021