1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ohm of SWR Megoliath Driver (oem) ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joseph Sheldon, Oct 10, 2009.

1. If this is buried some place here in another thread I apologies. I need to know soon a.s.a.p. there are some Eminence drivers for sale on EBay and I would like to pick them up to replace at least one if not two drivers. O.K. so I bought the 8/10" Megoliath used for $400 and it looked perfect. We it's not, I got my Mesa Titan back from Mesa (it was getting repaired) and I plugged it using two Speakons one for the top 4/10's and one for the bottom 4/10's to have an 4 ohm tottal load on the head since each section on the SWR is 8 Ohms. Well my head started shutting down for a few seconds and coming back. I thought mesa screwed up. Not the case, I put my Titan on top of my Mesa 4/12" neo and I haven’t has a problem since. The logical issue with the SWR is 1 or more drivers are toasted causing a dead short or a 0 ohm load and the head was going into protection mode as it should. So I have a multi-meter and I'm going to the studio today to find out which driver is a turd but I would like to get some of the eminence drivers that are cheap right now. Long story longer are the drivers 8 or 16 ohm??? I think the SWR OEM is 16 but I want to be sure....Thanks for any help:help:

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  3. I know but it's my back-up cab and I think they are eminence delta's but I just need the ohm please.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Since you're going to use a meter to test for a dead driver why not use it to measure a good one? DCR will be about .7 times the impedance.

5. If each section of 4 drivers works out to 8 ohms they can't be 16 ohms each. They will be either 8(wired series-parallel) or 32(all wired in parallel).

6. Well I went to my studio today and pulled the drivers out and used a multi meter on each to make sure nothing was cooked. My multi meter indicated all drivers with a resistance reading of 4.8 to 5.6 ohms. They all responded the same way on the meter and all drivers were marked 8 ohm. Now I have been told the amp see’s something different that a multi meter and the readings on the meter will usually be a bit lower. I checked each driver, all the same readings. Lower than the spec but all the same. I then tested the cab as a whole. It’s supposed to be a 4 Ohm load when ran together and it read 3.2 to 3.6 it jumps around a little but that what it read so it is a little lower than the spec. I think my Mesa which has a switch on the back of it for 4/8 or 2 ohm operation didn’t like the 3.4 load when switched to 4/8. I have 2 Titan heads so I’m leaving the one on top of my Mesa 4/12 where it had no issue shutting down. When my other head comes back from the repair department in two weeks from Mesa I will switch that head to 2 Ohms and see how it goes…thanks everyone I’ll let you know what happens if you care.

Attached Files: