Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ohm question: mixed 8 and 4 ohm with 2-10 and 1-12 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, May 15, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i have a 4ohm wizzy and i have a chance to pickup a 8ohm 210 yorkville for $200 canadian (used).

if i have one 1-12 which is 4ohms and one 2-10 which is 8ohms i will get 2.67 ohms with my clarus (which does 300w @ 2ohms), correct?

will this setup efficiently transfer the sound equally to each cab?

will it be 300w in total loudness?

thanks!

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just to clarify, watts don't equal 'loudness' or volume. That's decibels (sp?).

Anyway, if the amp can run at 2ohm's fine, than it would be allright.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    okay, but would this configuration use all 300w???

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yep, it should do.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I've heard mixed things about 2.67ohms though. I've heard it's completely fine (especially tube amps), but i've also heard it's bad.

Might want to wait for someone to clarify, as I may be wrong.

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Not quite 300W as this power is into 2 ohms, not 2.67. You may get in the region of 240W or so. Not much quieter than 300W! The real issue is that with this setup your 112 will get 2/3 of the available power (say, about 160W) and the 210 only the remaining 1/3 (about 80W).

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    yeah, that's what i wondering about. so whatever cab has 8ohms will get 1/3 the power... hmmm

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I was told that when theres two cabs equaling 2.67ohms, the amp runs at 2ohms.

Thanks for the correction :)

The other thing I did forget is the one cab getting more power than the other..

8. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    For a SS amp, you just have to stay above the minimum impedance. 2, 4, and 8 ohms are just standard operating points to rate at. 2.67 ohms is a slightly lighter load than 2. You get slightly less power from the amp, but the amp is stressed less (runs cooler, less likely to fail), and distorts a little less. I wouldn’t get hung up on trying to get every last bit of power out of it. From a pure power perspective, your ears are barely be able to hear the difference. The extra volume comes more from adding more drivers, which raises efficiency.

The more significant question, is whether the sound will be evenly split between the two cabs. To determine this, check the sensitivity of each. All things equal, the 12 will be 3dB louder since it will be getting twice as much power. However, if the 210 is a little more efficient, the volume should split fairly evenly between the two.

By the way, be sure to use heavy, good quality cables that are no longer than necessary. Anything close to 2 ohms draws a lot of current from the amp.

- John

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Why not just get a 2nd Whizzy? From one of your previous threads I am assuming that you are looking for more volume to boost your low end here. A 2nd Whizzy would pull the full 300 watts and most likely be capable of rather loud performance. Several people have mentioned on this board that two whizzys "synergise" very well (although I've yet to get to try even one :mad: ).

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Two wizzys would be optimal. However, by the time all is done and paid for, it will cost me close to a $900canadian, in which case i would just go for the schroeder 1212 which would cost me $1000can.

At this time i cant afford anything over about $300usd. Also, due to my eq problems i havent really heard what the wizzy is capable of in terms of low-end. I hope to remedy this soon.