Ohm question regarding a Sunn Coliseum 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lbanks, Jun 7, 2004.

1. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    In one of the groups I'm currently with, I'm using a Bmax pre, a Mackie M1400 PA and I'm running it thru a Acme Low B2 4ohm (series 1) and a X-Audio 2x10 4ohms(yeah, I know its cheap, but it really does hold its own). THe setup sounds good, but in my opinion, doesn't match the sound of the band. The sound of the band is rough, kinda late 60's sound. I used a Trace Elliot AH-300 and a Hartke 4.5XL, but thats a lot of weight and the sound was a bit too 'funk'. I'm thinking of using my Sunn Coliseum 300 heag, the X-Audio and a Legion Sound 2x10, because the Sunn doesn't really have enough power to push the Amce. The Sunn says "300 watts @2 ohm". The X-Audio is 4 ohms, The LS is 8 ohm. Anyone see any problems?
  2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Nope. A 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cabinet will give you a 2.666667 ohm load, which the amp reads as 2 ohms. You might be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly underpowering that Acme though... But the Sunn's are killer heads. I've loved every one I've played through. I saw a Mint one for $149 and I came so close to buying it, but some bastard beat me to it...
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Possibly. The X-Audion is going to get twice as many watts as the LS. I don't know how it will translate to real world sound but one cab could overpower the other.