Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ohm question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I am considering making a 2x8 cab (2x5 if I could find them) and slipping a 50watt head in (8ohm.) In order not to fry the head would the speakers need to be 16 ohm? This would be used at pretty low volumes only competing with acoustic instruments.

2. You can either use 16ohm speakers in paralell
    or 4ohm speakers in series.

either one will give you an 8ohm load.

3. Check my thread for some info and links to Madisound, who have some inexpensive speakers you might want to look at.

Silver Flute Woofers for Bass

For the full explanation of ohms go here. ;)

Have fun,

BT

4. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Thanks for the replies. If the specs on those Madison speakers are realistic then they would be capable of handling more low end than the amp will produce(down to 55hz I believe.)With the right cabinet dimension/porting I wonder how a 2x5.25 would sound? Have you built your cabinet using these speakers yet?

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    oops, these are 8ohm speakers and my amp is not switchable to 4 ohms. Gotta back up and punt.

6. couple of things here:

first, you could wire your speakers in series for a 16 ohm cabinet, or you could use 4 speakers (they're only $14.15) and get 8 ohms. Alternatively, you could use one of the 8" version for a small cab too.

What kind of amp do you have? is this an additional speaker to add to a combo or is it a head/cab rig?

To answer your question, no I haven't built it yet, I just started thinking about it. Maybe Santa will be good to me at Christmas! But I really need the time, not just the money.

cheers!

BT

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It is a Behringer 112 Combo amp(8ohm.) I was kicking around the idea of making it into a 2x5 combo to use in small gigs/church, etc. From what I have gathered here 8+8=4 would not work with this head.

8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    OK, I think I got it. I can wire (2) 8 ohm speakers in series and get a 16 ohm load. That will cut the power to the speakers. We are only talking about 50 watts. Would it still be usable?

9. rossco

rossco Unregistered

Mar 8, 2003
    No.......unless you spend all your time gigging in the home for the oversensitive of hearing

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's about 35watts of output at 16 ohms. And into low sensitivity speakers. It won't be very loud.

11. rossco

rossco Unregistered

Mar 8, 2003
    Ok Pete......I wasn't being exactly technical but I think I got over the meaning;)

btw... wheren't you in the Goombay Dance Band

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I dunno, probably....... I'm a band whore.........