Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by repair01, Jan 23, 2004.

1. repair01

repair01

Jul 18, 2003
    texarkana tx
    i've got two jacks on the back of my head labeled "parallel speaker"if i plugged one 8ohm 4x10 cab into one jack and plugged one 8ohm 1x15 in to the other would i have a 4ohm load?or what would i get if i pluggged the 4x10 into one jack and plugged the 1x15 into the other jack on the back of my 4x10?

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Unless the two jacks on your 4-10 are wired in an unusual fashion, you'll get a 4 ohm load either way.

This is a mono amp we're talking about, right?

3. repair01

repair01

Jul 18, 2003
    texarkana tx
    yea its mono and thanks for the quick reply

4. You've got your question answered it looks like, but just for fun check out:

all about ohms :p

This must be the BXR from your other post? I'd think you'd be getting some pretty serious rumble out of that rig! What cabs are they (brand I mean - I can see what they are from your post:cool: )

BT

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep. The only thing to watch out for is that there are some amps (and cabs) with "special" wiring.

For instance the late 70's ultralinear Twin Reverb had special speaker jacks where the speakers would end up "in series" when you plug in the extension cab, and the amp would internally switch to the 8 ohm tap on the output transformer, instead of the 4 ohm tap.

Also many of the Line 6 cabs have two jacks on the back, but they have different functions (they're not wired "in parallel"). Sometimes one of them is stereo and the other is mono, and if you're clever with electronics you can easily wire up a special plug to convert your stereo jack so that the speakers end up in series.

But that's just a caveat. "Most" amps (and cabs) have their multiple speaker jacks wired in parallel.

6. repair01

repair01

Jul 18, 2003
    texarkana tx
    my cab is a carvin.i'm not sure what model it is but i know it's old too.doesn't matter to me they pump out good vintage tone and give out a decent amount of distortion when tweaked.